adding live rock

Guest chipz

Guest chipz

I have a 30 gal sw tank that has been set up for several years. Actually, it's been up for over 20 years, only the last 4 of which it was under my care. The tank relies on older technology (crushed coral substrate, an ug plate attached to a cannister filter, mostly decorated w/ pieces of dead coral and *maybe* 3 pounds of lr, and NO protein skimmer :unsure: ) but it has done great despite this. Its current occupants are all thriving (2 fish, 2 shrimp, 3 urchins) and I'm sort of thinking that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. However, I've been considering adding a small amount of additional live rock because the tank looks pretty boring, especially compared to my reef tank. If I did this, I would add the live rock just a little at a time. What do you think? Should I try it, or just leave well enough alone?

I've had success adding "cured" rubble a pound or two at a time to my sump without ill effects to my tank. If you wanted to add more than that, I would recommend you buy all you need and set it in a rubbermaid container with a heater and a powerhead - that way it is perfectly cured. Use water taken out of the tank at water changes to ensure similar parameters. After the rock cures you can add it bit by bit or all at once - maybe one peice per day would be perfect.

I am of the opinion that live rock plays a critical role in filtration and stability and that aside from bettering your tank's looks it will give you a healthier tank

As someone who did this exact thing about 14 years ago, I would just go slow. If you are adding rock from a LFS (like TRT or Marine Scene), then add the rock directly. They have done the curing work for you (of course, make sure it has been in their care for a while)

However, I would get rid of the UG filter. That was the single best thing I ever did to aid my aquarium. Of course that pretty much means breaking down the tank. I had 2 UG plates, and I replaced one at a time over the period of a couple of weeks.

The other best thing that I did was provide an overflow to skim the surface of the water. That means setting up a sump. Overflow to a canaster filter is a bad idea. (done that, been there.) The sump also acts as a refugium, whether lit or not. Of course this is a big step, and is way beyond your question :rolleyes:

Guest clownfish4

As long as the rock is fully cured it should be fine. I added 50lbs from someone elses tank to my tank and had no ill effects.

Regarding the UG, just disconnet the pump / air stone and leave the plate where it is. I have a UG that ran powered for 2 months when I set up my 33g 3 years ago and it has been a plendulum ever since.

I've had no problem adding 2-3 # of semi-cured rocks from TRT or MS. Results may vary.

Skimmers are always a good idea IMO.