Retracted polyps

gudgreef

About 2 days ago I notice all the polyps on my acro's and milli's were completely retracted. I have yet been unable to discover what changed. Temp, s.p. and nitrates are fine. All montipora's still look good and fully extended if that helps in the diagnosis. HELP! Any idea's on possible causes/remedies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tom

Do you have a devils hand, cabbage or Toadstool leather corals in the tank with them? These have a tendency to fight chemically with SPS- Acros being more sensitive than some digitatas in my limited experience- Run some activated charcoal to try an take out the extra poisons. Just my two cents Tom- there are several more experienced sps guys that should chime in.

Regards,

Lee

How long have they been in the tank? Any changes: Flow, light, skimmer, feeding? If anything changed in the last 2+ weeks, I'd bet $ that is related. Tried moving them around?

------

Hey that is great info Lee.

BTW, next time you tease me that the SPS frags I gave you are growing faster than mine, I'm sending back the Toadstool and Cabbage you gave me and adding in a Devil's hand.

SHhhheeeees

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still stumped. What I just noticed is that the polyps are extended at night but retract with any light. I checked and I don't have an appreciable pH swing (I run the refugium light at night) :huh: I don't have any leathers in the tank but I do have a couple huge pompom xenia that have really taken off. Does iodine (depletion) affect acro's??? Thanks for the reply's. The tank itself has only been up about 4 months.

tom

Usually when the millie's polyps are retracted it means they are not happy but what would cause it could be many things.

Do you have any acro fish that like to sit on it or do you have any fish that are biting on it like an angel fish?

How about temp? What is your day time temp since it's getting warm and what is the temp swing between the low and the high?

The xenias would not bother it or the iodine depletion.

I'm still a newbie but:

If they are not acting right, it's down to the 2 basics, water quality and lighting.

If you aren't sure, at least do a water change, and and run carbon as you would for other corals to pull out undesireables. If that doesn't do it, and least you've eliminated a possible cause. If you have any soft corals that are stressed, they may be putting out terpenes. If so dilution and filtration will help.

FF

Usually when the millie's polyps are retracted it means they are not happy but what would cause it could be many things.

Do you have any acro fish that like to sit on it or do you have any fish that are biting on it like an angel fish?

How about temp? What is your day time temp since it's getting warm and what is the temp swing between the low and the high?

The xenias would not bother it or the iodine depletion.

29068[/snapback]