How do you fix the leaking bulkhead?

Guest what up

Guest what up

I have a bulkhead leaking on the back of my tank, where the bulkhead screw tight up against the glass. I don't want to tight it anymore afraid that I am going to crack the glass. Can anyone gives advices from experience.

Thanks

I have a bulkhead leaking on the back of my tank, where the bulkhead screw tight up against the glass.  I don't want to tight it anymore afraid that I am going to crack the glass.  Can anyone gives advices from experience.

Thanks

28393[/snapback]

If you can, unscrew the bulkhead and ensure that the gasket is free of any

buildup. Also clean the glass where the gasket sits.

Don't over tighten - I've found that sometimes overtightening it will cause

leakage.

Tiny leaks fix themselves once some salt from evaporation plugs the leak.

That's the proper approach...............but..........if you HAVE to you can remove the nut, put a bead of silicone around the threaded portion & then re-tighten the nut (the silicone will seal both the backside & help seal the threads - DAMHIKT)

Make sure it's not a cracked bulkhead. I replaced a bulkhead this weekend while doing an upgrade, and the bulkhead cracked and started leaking some time during the night. The leak wasn't much faster than a quick drip, but it made a mess inside the stand.

Jon

I once had a blukhead leak under the paint on the back of the tank, water couldn't make it through the nut but there were strange bulges in the paint and water on the floor. Popping the biggest one revealed it was full of water and a slow drip kept coming out of it.

Now it's my sump and I have made sure in a power outage water will not reach the bulkhead.