LED's retro kit opinions . . .

BowieReefer84

For what it's worth, I would be interested in seeing the kit and how it goes together. If any one wanted to come up to my shop in Frederick, I would be willing to solder the kit or let you solder the kit on one of my electronics benches. I have high quality Weller pencil iron solder stations, thermal grease and high quality solder (though the spool I have been using is 60/40 rosin core - I'm generally working on older electronics so it doesn't bother me it's not RoHS). I have overhead lighting on each bench, too, which makes it nice to work. PM me if you're interested in my offer.

For any one not familiar with this kind of work, get yourself a pencil tip iron of high quality with replaceable tips. Nothing is more frustrating than working on electronics with crappy irons that have poor temperature regulation and too large a tip. Weller makes irons worth using. There may be others, but I've never bothered to use anything else. For solder I would recommend 3/16" rosin core made by Kester or Ersin. There may be other good brands, but I've relied on those brands for 30 years. If you don't use a good solder, you won't get good flow characteristics, which may lead to applying too much heat to your components and melting something unfortunate. Or crystallized solder joints. Like most things, you need to use good tools and materials to get high quality results.

Some one experienced with soldering could elect to use a butane iron, but I generally only use those in the field where I have no convenient source of power. Some one without the experience of using this type of iron shouldn't attempt it IMO because you have to do everything else right AND keep an eye on your combustion vent so you don't melt something with the iron's exhaust.

Thank you for the quick lesson on soldering. I am not familiar with the process at all. I know one of my friends fathers has lots of tools, and he was going to help me out if I get the kit. However, I will make sure to take a lot of photos. There are not many well written articles on these retro kits. I want to start a thread from beginning to end with the install itself, PAR readings, and photos for growth rates on different corals at different heights in the tank. I have an MP10 on my biocube, and only two small fish with a fire shrimp. I also went bare bottom (that's what she said...). I should be able to keep the water quality and flowrate very good. I do small weekly water changes, and if the need ever arises I will dose 2 part ESV (but that shouldn't be necessary anytime soon).

Can you provide a link that has good prices on the equipment you listed? I may just get the tools if they are not too expensive. It's not like they go bad or anything.

The dimable might not be a horrible idea in a shallow tank. I have the 24 royal blues on my 120 and it is as bright as about 4 ati blue plus(48") in a powermodule. These things are intense, and I do not use optics.

I tried to start a group buy on another forum and was not able to reach the minimum. I would be down for another 24 retro and a 12 retro if you do order.

I am hoping to order in the next two weeks, so let me know.

A 120, eh? What do you think it would take to light my 3' x 5' 240-gallon tank? And is it easy to add lenses, if I want to narrow the focus down a bit?

bob

(edited)

A 120, eh? What do you think it would take to light my 3' x 5' 240-gallon tank? And is it easy to add lenses, if I want to narrow the focus down a bit?

bob

Here is a combo set http://www.rapidled....-R5-Cool/Detail They just go right on. Those are the more expensive LED's XP-G R5. With those optics they would be INSANE. How deep is your tank, and how high above the water do you want the LED's?

I heard a rule of thumb that you can tank your tank widthXlength in inches aka 36" x 60" = 2,160 and divide it by 10-20 based on type of corals to figure out how many LED's you would need... So, this being the case either 108 up to 216 LED's for a tank of that size. I would split the difference and say around 160 LED's. Three of THIS http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-50/48-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail would be more than enough as these are the most powerful LED's (that rapid sells). This is all based on my opinion and that of others. I have been reading a lot over the past weeks/months. I do not know how to put them together, but I know the requirements basically...If you go on the other forums like nano-reefers they have some great LED knowledge.

Edited by BowieReefer84

Here is a combo set http://www.rapidled....-R5-Cool/Detail They just go right on. Those are the more expensive LED's XP-G R5. With those optics they would be INSANE. How deep is your tank, and how high above the water do you want the LED's?

I heard a rule of thumb that you can tank your tank widthXlength in inches aka 36" x 60" = 2,160 and divide it by 10-20 based on type of corals to figure out how many LED's you would need... So, this being the case either 108 up to 216 LED's for a tank of that size. I would split the difference and say around 160 LED's. Three of THIS http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-50/48-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail would be more than enough as these are the most powerful LED's (that rapid sells). This is all based on my opinion and that of others. I have been reading a lot over the past weeks/months. I do not know how to put them together, but I know the requirements basically...If you go on the other forums like nano-reefers they have some great LED knowledge.

$1500 seems like a lot to light my tank - but I just spent $300 for T5 light bulbs, and my original light fixtures cost over $1000. For a new intallation, I'd be in the black after 2 years. Obviously a good way to go.

Thanks!!

bob

$1500 seems like a lot to light my tank - but I just spent $300 for T5 light bulbs, and my original light fixtures cost over $1000. For a new intallation, I'd be in the black after 2 years. Obviously a good way to go.

Thanks!!

bob

If you wait until the T5's you bought need replacing in a year or so, the price will probably be much lower I would think. If nothing else, you will be able to read more reviews on the different LED options out there. And yea $1,500 IS a lot lol. I am hesitant to drop $275 for my nano....lol

Couldn't find the option to edit my previous post - made some 4AM errors >.>

It's 40/60 solder and it's 3/32" solder, not 3/16" (which would be a bit thick for electronics heh)

Can you provide a link that has good prices on the equipment you listed? I may just get the tools if they are not too expensive. It's not like they go bad or anything.

This would be a decent choice and not expensive.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000AS28UC

This is one of my units:

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B000ARU9PO

You can set the temp you are using with this unit, for more control. With good technique, the previous model would be fine, though, and you can vary the temp by changing the wattage.

A simplistic guide to soldering:

http://www.mediacoll...om/misc/solder/

It's not accurate in the discussion of fluxes as they state acid core is for experts and rosin core is what you should use because it's easier lol. Acid core flux should never be used on electronics.

A better guide:

http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm

Edited by SeanH

Guest thefishman65

Just so you are aware the retro kits use fixed current drivers. So if your coral bleach you have no choice but to move the light up or use screen or something else. Also if you don't like the color too much/little blue you are out of luck. They might let you upgrade to the ELN series, but you will need a little more hardware.

For those that care I just updated a summary over on Reef Central scroll down to post 4994. Hopefully it will answer a lot of question that you may have.

Also for those doing realy large build I got the following quotes from ETG back in july

XRE White Q5 10pcs $6.00 50pcs $5.75 100pcs $5.60 500pcs $5.30 1000pcs $4.95

XRE Roy 10pcs $5.00 50pcs $4.75 100pcs $4.60 500pcs $4.30 1000pcs $3.95

XPG R5 10pcs $6.50 50pcs $6.25 100pcs $ 6.00 500pcs $5.75 1000pcs $5.35

XPE ROY 10pcs $5.00 50pcs $4.85 100pcs $4.25 500pcs $3.95 1000pcs $3.50

XRE Lenses: 40, 60 and 80 degree TY series $1.00ea for 10-200 $.90ea 201-500 $.80ea for 501 or better

XPG Lenses: 40 & 60 degree LL series $1.25ea for 10-200 $1.10ea 201-500 $.95ea for 501 or better

Lead-time 5days to 2 weeks depending on stock status.

I am going to order the LED Retro Kit from Rapidled next weekend. I am NOT going dimmable. I like the 50/50 color split (equal white and blue). I did some research, and the Aqua Illumination module's have 16 Cree XPG-R5's WITH optics, and 8 blue LED's WITH optics (most people seem to dim them down a little). My setup will only have 12 white and 12 blue without optics. Because of this, I am not worried about bleaching. If it happens, I will let everyone know and they do not make the same mistake...

If anyone considers themself GOOD at soldering and would be interested in helping me do so send a PM. I do not want to make offers for cash or corals in this thread (as it is in the general forum)....

I want to thank everyone for all the input!!! It has really helped me decide which route to take. I am so indecisive sometimes, but I think I will be happy with the LED's.