Liverock - Dr Macs

Folta

Hi again all!

In my tank, I currently have a few pieces of liverock (about 15 lbs) that I picked up from congressional aquarium in rockville. After looking at TBS rock, and Dr. Mac's rock, I feel that the stuff from congressional in no way compares. So I want to get some from Dr. Mac, as he is in MD.

Being about 2 1/2 - 3 hours away, has anyone had this stuff delivered? At this distance, can he do same day delivery? Is the rock cured there? (I want to avoid getting any mantis shrimp and/or gorrilla crabs, etc).

I plan on calling them, but wanted to post here first to hear any experiences you guys might have had or any other questions I should ask / advice about it. I plan on getting some pieces that are about 10 lbs, probably about 30ish lbs to start.

Thanks!

I think you will be very very happy with it. You might be able to meet either him or his son Zac at BWI, which would shave a considerable amount off the drive. But if you drive out, you can hand pick it. Or he can probably ship it ground and have it arrive in 1-2 days (and save a lot on shipping).

I was considering a trip out there later this summer to hand pick a few pieces, maybe on a trip to Ocean City. :)

But for now, I want to add a few pieces that will act as base pieces. These will replace a few pieces that I have so I'm not too worried about picking it by hand at the moment.

Hmm... depending on shipping, it might be worth it to just drive out there anyway on a Saturday.

I also had noticed another thread after posting this one that they have come to meetings in the past. Do they bring corals/liverock/etc with them when they do? And, when is the next meeting? I was looking at the link above but couldn't tell exactly.

Guest mikesroth

I personally think it is worth the trip out there, Dr. Mac is very nice, and will be really helpful in helping your pick out your rock. I know because he let me come over before he had the store open, he rooted around his rock bins until we found just the pieces we wanted, and helped Jen pick out some zoo's that she liked. Make a day of it, you will enjoy yourself, and probably end up spending too much money, too. :)

Now, I have heard that he will meet people at BWI also. This would save you money over having it shipped. I believe they make a couple of runs a week to pick up their stock at the airport, and will bring some stuff for you to help save on the shipping. Give him a call or email and see what he can do for you.

I was considering a trip out there later this summer to hand pick a few pieces, maybe on a trip to Ocean City. :)

But for now, I want to add a few pieces that will act as base pieces.  These will replace a few pieces that I have so I'm not too worried about picking it by hand at the moment. 

Hmm... depending on shipping, it might be worth it to just drive out there anyway on a Saturday. 

I also had noticed another thread after posting this one that they have come to meetings in the past.  Do they bring corals/liverock/etc with them when they do?  And, when is the next meeting?  I was looking at the link above but couldn't tell exactly.

28081[/snapback]

Next meeting will be mid April- early May. STill finalizing a date with speaker.

When Mac comes he brings a ton of stuff, which usually is discounted for the meeting. He will also bring any special requests you might have.

One option is to hit The reeftank when they get a fresh shipment of liverock in. Just over the river, and a store you will want to visit on occassion as they have some of the best coral around IMO (and coolest staff). Their price is very competetive as well.

Michael

I bought some tonga (90lbs) from him around the holidays. great stuff and very large peices. I did pay next day shipping but was not bad for only coming to the dc area. Was very happy with the peices.

Won a "in store" gift certificate in the last meeting raffle that Dr. Mac was nice enough to donate. You need a road trip buddy, I might be willing to drive up with ya. Where are you located?

I live in Olney, MD, but work in Lanham (east intersection of 50 and 495). Is he open for retail on days other than saturday or just saturday?

I see you have the VT logo! I did my undergrad at VT. Interesting school... although I definitely had my complaints about it :)

I bought some tonga (90lbs) from him around the holidays. great stuff and very large peices. I did pay next day shipping but was not bad for only coming to the dc area. Was very happy with the peices.

Won a "in store" gift certificate in the last meeting raffle that Dr. Mac was nice enough to donate. You need a road trip buddy, I might be willing to drive up with ya. Where are you located?

28090[/snapback]

I haven't heard anything about the reef tank yet. So it is a good store? Where is it located exactly? Do they have a website?

I would love to come to the next meeting. I'll keep an eye on the meetings section to watch when anything gets posted there. Btw, I'm not sure whos in charge of the website but I noticed 'calendar' is spelled incorrectly on the menu choices :-p

Its good to hear about some good lfs's in the area, even if they are a few hours away. I do like the one off of georgia avenue, and they seem to be getting more and more saltwater stuff each week.

Next meeting will be mid April- early May.  STill finalizing a date with speaker.

When Mac comes he brings a ton of stuff, which usually is discounted for the meeting.  He will also bring any special requests you might have. 

One option is to hit The reeftank when they get a fresh shipment of liverock in.  Just over the river, and a store you will want to visit on occassion as they have some of the best coral around IMO (and coolest staff).  Their price is very competetive as well.

Michael

28087[/snapback]

Haha, I'm sure you're right about spending too much. I know I'd want to spend alot of money once I see the corals, etc. One of the benefits to ordering it.. you tend to not impulse buy as much!

I personally think it is worth the trip out there, Dr. Mac is very nice, and will be really helpful in helping your pick out your rock.  I know because he let me come over before he had the store open, he rooted around his rock bins until we found just the pieces we wanted, and helped Jen pick out some zoo's that she liked.  Make a day of it, you will enjoy yourself, and probably end up spending too much money, too. :)

Now, I have heard that he will meet people at BWI also.  This would save you money over having it shipped.  I believe they make a couple of runs a week to pick up their stock at the airport, and will bring some stuff for you to help save on the shipping.  Give him a call or email and see what he can do for you.

28086[/snapback]

I decided to take a very long drive a few weeks ago and check out Dr Mac in person. By far the best looking collection of corals I have seen at a retailer, great selection, and they seem genuinely happy to see people. Needless to say, I spent a lot more than I intended.

Ok, well that settles it then. I'm going to have to take a drive out there on a saturday, and make a day of it. Maybe a bunch of club members want to all go out there together?

www.reefstore.com

If you work at 495 and 50, you could easily go after work. Off Braddock Road exit which I think is one or 2 more stops down. Defiantely call though to find out the day the rock comes in.

Sadly Dr. Mac doesn't go to BWI anymore. They pick up at the airport in Philly now.

You can visit their store on weekdays, but it is by quasi-appointment. You buy the livestock by phone then tell them which day you want to pick it up. At least that's what I did. They want you to pick it up within three days.

It is really far out there on the Eastern Shore, but it is worth it for special pickups. I would definitely go out there for live rock. Having Mac bring it to a meeting is even better.

Also, check out this thread: http://www.cmas-md.org/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboa...t=ST;f=3;t=3090

Guest rennfamily

I would say that you can't do any better than Dr Mac's. I ordered some rock from a hobbist and the rock was horrible in color and leaked all over the post office. Dr Mac let me hand pick my pieces and wrapped them in a box very carefully for me. My tank was set up but had nothing but the water and a few other rocks in it. I noticed no die off and no real water cycle after adding it. Plus you really can't beat the price. The drive is beautiful. Been there a total of three times now.

HTH

Checked out their site. They are near the intersection of 50 and 495 on the west side. I'm near 50 and 495 on the east side, so its a 45 minute drive still. I think I'm going to drive out to dr. macs this saturday.. I'll see when the week comes near end.

www.reefstore.com

If you work at 495 and 50, you could easily go after work.  Off Braddock Road exit which I think is one or 2 more stops down.  Defiantely call though to find out the day the rock comes in.

28116[/snapback]