Tank is Cycled

Karah

So my tank finally finished cycling last week or the week before ish and has been running smoothly since. I got a few hermit crabs and a couple of snails that are working away on that diatom bloom that sprung up the last few days of the cycle. I would like to get a few fish and some corals soon but was hoping to get some advice as to what supplies I want to be certain I have everything alive and healthy. For fish, I'll probaby start off with a couple of clowns and a few chromis. As for corals, pretty much anything that is deemed "beginner" or "easy" and is colorful will be on the list of possibilities.

When doing planning for corals, try to think of your tank as a garden. plant ground covers at the bottom like gsp, zoas, palys, shrooms, encrusting polyps. The middle could be for montiporas and leathers/ sinularias and the top can be for the high light demand corals like acroporas.

Certain corals like gsp and yellow polyps grow very fast and should be confined to the sand or 'island rocks' so they don't overrun neighboring corals. Plating montiporas grow fast as well and often shade things underneath them. Give your corals plenty of room to grow so they don't battle each other for territory.

If you start with green chromis, get medium sized because they have a better chance of survival. If you get a school of them, sometimes one becomes more dominant and slowly kills the rest.

Do yourself a favor and start dipping all of your corals before introduction to your tank. Use 'revive' or similar products. Same goes for fish- don't put the water from the LFS into your tank. Your tank is theoretically disease and pest free. These 2 simple steps could save you lots of money and livestock in the future.

Edited by zygote2k

Thanks a million zygote2k! Revive is now on the shopping list. I just got done buying 2 hydor koralia 750's (on sale for 25 bucks) b/c I really dont think there is nearly enough water movement to start putting a bunch of corals in there as the tank is now. Those should be here between the 24th and the 29thclap.gif

As for feeding fish and corals, anything in particular recommended? I simply want to be well informed when going to a LFS or searching online for this type of stuff and dont want to get conned into stuff that is completely pointless ya know? I saw some recipes for fish food on here... would it be better to just make all my own food?

Thanks a million zygote2k! Revive is now on the shopping list. I just got done buying 2 hydor koralia 750's (on sale for 25 bucks) b/c I really dont think there is nearly enough water movement to start putting a bunch of corals in there as the tank is now. Those should be here between the 24th and the 29thclap.gif

As for feeding fish and corals, anything in particular recommended? I simply want to be well informed when going to a LFS or searching online for this type of stuff and dont want to get conned into stuff that is completely pointless ya know? I saw some recipes for fish food on here... would it be better to just make all my own food?

An H-mart or other asian grocery store is a great place to get fish food in my opinion. They have cheap nori for your herbivores and frozen shrimp, calamari, cuttlefish, etc. that the fish (and anemone) just devour in my tank.

@WaterDog... lucky for me there is a great grocery store like that right around the corner from me... I couldnt believe the amount of fish they carried when I first saw it. Looks like a trip to the asian market is in order as well. Thanks!

As was mentioned before, Asian markets sell Nori really cheap. Good for tangs.

I'd recommend a variety of foods like Cyclopeeze, Marine Flakes, Freeze dried phytoplankton, Freeze dried rotifers, and New

Life spectrum pellets. Some frozen food like Rod's Food is good too. Feed frozen sparingly and dried food/nori on daily basis.

Feed your fish several times a day as much as they'll eat in 5 minutes. Whatever uneaten food turns into nitrate.