Lighting (Visual Check up!)

HowardofNOVA

I have a Blueline 250w Ballast currently and need to replace a (9-10 Month old) Radium 10k bulb that broke recently. Chip was kind enough to lend me a AB Bulb (about 6 months old) while I'm getting all my ducks in line to re-order new ones.

I was blown away by the actual difference of these 2 bulbs.

Radium on the Left, Aqualine AB on the Right:

122Pre_move_90g_1Mar05-med.jpg

Now here is my proposal.

Possibly the weekend of the 2-3Apr, I would like to gather (YOU FOLKS) at one place (My house in Falls Church) to ACTUALLY SEE the difference's of what each bulb looks like?

I unfortunately was late for last year Symposium to see the demo I understand happened then.

My setup includes VHO and 250w MH Ballast with Mogules.

Now here is my request:

#1 Depending on who is coming and what, I would LOVE to see what a 250w 10K Bulb actually shows up in the tank for Radium & AB (have) & need to borrow for a night (XM, Iwasaki, Coralife, Ushio, etc?)

#2 Also would be nice to see 6500k, 12k, 13k, 20k if anyone has them to lend for a evening or weekend for this VISUAL DEMO.

#3 The same goes for possible VHO lighting that you have to view.

#4 NOW That I only have 250w, if anyone close by has 175w or 400w, we can then move over to their house, etc for demo of same.

Anyone interested in doing this?

If not, does anyone have one of these bulbs that I could borrow to see this for myself?

Howard

Updated original request with a current picture of the CURRENT 2 bulbs side by side. Quite dramatic for both being 250w 10k bulbs.

Are you firing SE or DE? If it's DE I have a set of AB10Ks and a set of Phoenix 14K's. Also, depending on where I am in the upgrade I might have a complete 175w that I can donate to the cause. If I'm not ready - I DO have a CV 14K 175w bulb I can donate (about a year of burn on it).

Ah...nevermind - lol - now I see the picture.

Howard, I run 250 DE 10 K ABs. They are about 8 months old driven by blueline E ballast

Are you asking for one of those to be brought over? I could bring unit and all pretty easily, to compare against what you have set up there.

What type of VHOs are you looking to test in side by side comparisons- Looks like your set up has only 1 bulb.

I have a 4 bulb set up but it would be easier if someone could bring in a one bulb set up for similar comparison .

This is really a helpfull idea for those that are tweaking their lighting- I would like to see a T5 hung for comparison. The Tank of the Month on RC the guy had 8 T5 bulbs to get enough of the rigtght mix over a 110 G tank.

Not that I am thinking about changing - just would be interesting.

Those are both 10Ks? Wow. The Radium looks significantly "bluer." Or, are my eyes cheating me and the Radium is just not as bright as the AB?

Sorry I can't contribute to the effort; I run 150 HQIs (XMs)... I am interested to see the results though.

Cheers

Mike

The digital camera actually is showing true lighting. It's amazing the difference. I need to check to see the exact type of lighting, not 100% sure either way.

Lee,

I need to pickup another VHO ballast for my Actinic Light, already have the Endcaps, just need a new ballast.

Roozens for those who need, have some Magnetec Ballast for $50 used right now. Worth a look. I should p/u one, but saving my pennies to head to FL next Friday with my girls.

Eric,

The 14k's would be cool to see the difference, this is the whole idea to see the diffences all at the same time. Being my camera seems to be able to show the actual pictures, will have to add this to the post later.

The hood I have is just a QUICK DIY with cheap wood, we could zip in a new mogule/reflector with no problems if anyone wants to bring it along. I plan on building a new oak canopy later after the move.

Howard

Well the units I have are pendants so I'm not sure how we'd go about "testing" them.....but...if Lee brings the DE stuff I'd be happy to bring the 14K Phoenix (though they're new & unfired - might not be the final color).

I wish the Ocean Lights I have didn't have a unique connector - I'd like to see how an M80 ballast fires DE vs an electronic (the M80 I have state that it's 290w).

Whoa, Kick Butt!

If it helps, my "Aquarium CLOSET" has 2 dedicated 20amp lines coming from the breaker box :P

Guest ggtemp
Whoa, Kick Butt!

If it helps, my "Aquarium CLOSET" has 2 dedicated 20amp lines coming from the breaker box :P

27534[/snapback]

You guys have probably all seen this link before...but here it is anyway...

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

I have a 250W 10K Ushio that I could bring - just need to make sure my calendar

is clear for the day / time this will be happening...

-

Ghazanfar Ghori

O Geez Ghazanfar,

Your taking all the fun out of it! :D

I just want to see all the pretty colors! :P

Guest Ghazanfar Ghori
O Geez Ghazanfar,

Your taking all the fun out of it! :D

I just want to see all the pretty colors!  :P

27544[/snapback]

Actually, I have a 10K Ushio and the picture in the link above of the Ushio 10K

doesn't look like what the color rendition in my tank looks like. A good

spot to check with is the white sand since it reflects most of the light back,

the color it appears shows how much yellow / blue / green the light is.

yes I had seen that site and one other but it is still difficult to judge brightness between photos- and to some degree colors unless you see them in person.

Ghazanfar,

Lee is right and that's what I would like to see in person.

Could you bring the Ushio on the 2nd?

I would love to see the AB and that side by side?

Howard

Guest ggtemp
Ghazanfar,

Lee is right and that's what I would like to see in person.

Could you bring the Ushio on the 2nd?

I would love to see the AB and that side by side?

Howard

27595[/snapback]

You got it. Just give me a holler a few days before that weekend to

remind me just in case I forget.

Um....ah.......one question - if some of us are helping Steve move his 120 the lighting "demo" is scheduled on the same day (2nd)???

Actually will plan on doing light SHOW :) in afternoon if ok with everyone?

I was planning on moving him during morning (ASSuME)ing that is when he is doing it?

Then afternoon for LIGHT SHOW

Then Sunday around noon to HOPEFULLY move my 90g tank about 10 feet.

ANY VOLUNTEERS with strong backs?

My plan was to move my tank by removing water to about an inch or two from sand bed, remove enough rock to get it under a TON and lift, walk it around corner onto new stand and that should be it. Your part will be about an hours BS with about a 10 second lift.

:D

Howard

Howard,

I do not have big muscle and strong back. But please let me know if I can be of any help with your move.

--Tom

:rolleyes:

Well geez, I never thought of that!

Well, just in case 3-4 of you guys are hanging around after the demo and fill like strong as bulls! Will have everything ready to go?

Howard

B)

Great,

OK so far we are looking at

9:30am at Steve's helping him move his tank!

2-4pm on 2Apr at my place:

2927 Rogers Drive, Falls Church VA 22042.

Demo's So Far: (To be constantly updated)

MH (I have a Blueline 250w Ballast so far)

Howard Radium 10k 250W & AB 10K 250W

Ghazanfar USHIO 10K 250W

GaryL XM 10K & 20K

Eriks CV 14K Phoenix

Lee Stearn DE Stuff

VHO (I have a Workhorse 5 Ballast for single 110w so far)

Howard Sun 110W 10K & Actinic 03

4:30 for those crazy enough to stick around and wants to volunteer, will move my tank the longest 3 yards into new resting place? (depending on help?)

6:00pm Lobster, Crack Crab, Fillets and Prime Rib...... Please LMK who is bringing this so I can turn on the grill? :P

7:59pm EVERYONE MUST LEAVE

8:00pm Beautiful Single Ladies can show up now?

B)

Howard

Guest clownfish4

Howard, those bulbs that you got from the Reef Tank were 20k. That is why Chip's bulb looks so much whiter. I will definately be at your house at 2! :D Just hope we don't have any problems with the move because I am looking foreward to this.

Howard,

I will see if I can clear a hole in my schedule, if so I can bring an old 250 Iwasaki. Color sucks, but man do the corals grow like weeds under them!

Glenn

Cool,

We got the VP Coming! :)

Mike,

I looked at my bulb last night and noticed 2 things!

#1 I believe it's a 10K

#2 I BELIEVE THE ^#@% THING HAS A CRACK IN IT!

OK, Chip, I need to order 2 (?) Bulbs now!