How much current do I need?

Guest jcwordslinger

Guest jcwordslinger

I am starting a 50 gallon (30.5" x 18" x 20.5") and I was wondering what some of you more experienced people would suggest as the appropriate amount of current running thoughout the tank. In other words, what do I need to purchase?

The tank has a cpr HOB skimmer, a Fluval 204 cannister filter, an AquaClear 402 powerhead, and an AquaClear 201 powerhead. I kep hearing about something called maxijet...? Are these similiar to powerheads?

Thanks for your future advice.

JC

Guest what up
I am starting a 50 gallon (30.5" x 18" x 20.5") and I was wondering what some of you more experienced people would suggest as the appropriate amount of current running thoughout the tank.  In other words, what do I need to purchase? 

The tank has a cpr HOB skimmer, a Fluval 204 cannister filter, an AquaClear 402 powerhead, and an AquaClear 201 powerhead.  I kep hearing about something called maxijet...?  Are these similiar to powerheads? 

Thanks for your future advice.

JC

27414[/snapback]

JC,

Your current set up is fine for fish only tank. Your power head current is ok as long as you don't use it with the wavemake, Maxijet go beter with the wavemaker because it makes less noise due to the wavemaker control the on and off to your power heads. It's look like that you are using the feshwater equiments. Your set up is great for saltwater Fish only tank. If you are planning to go with Corals and others in future. I would suggest that do some research to set it right.

Jason-

Maxijets are powerheads from a specific company and fairly inexpensive- They seem to be pretty bullet proof and do not mind being turned on and off which is how mine were hooked up on a wave maker power strip that you saw at my house- RIOs have a bad rep from many sources of burning up and failing pretty spectacularly.

Flow for a tank is usually measured in number of times the tank's volume is turned over- With out a sump this may not be as valid. LPS and other corals just need water column movement. One hears 10 times the tanks volume on the low side to 25 times the tanks volume on the high side or even more. Using this standard a 50 gallon tank would need a minimum flow of 500 gallons per hour which I think your fluvial and two power heads probably exceeds.

Regards,

Lee

Guest jcwordslinger
JC,

Your current set up is fine for fish only tank.  Your power head current is ok as long as you don't use it with the wavemake, Maxijet go beter with the wavemaker because it makes less noise due to the wavemaker control the on and off to your power heads.  It's look like that you are using the feshwater equiments.  Your set up is great for saltwater Fish only tank.  If you are planning to go with Corals and others in future. I would suggest that do some research to set it right.

27420[/snapback]

Please tell me... what else would I need in my tank if I wanted to go with corals? Obviously, I want more movement in my tank, hence the thread. And I have T5 Tek lights (purchased after doing some research). Your advice is greatly appreciated.

JC

Guest clownfish4

I would not start a reef tank without a sump. I would also invest in a very good skimmer and very good lights. How many watts is your T-5 set-up putting out?

Guest jcwordslinger
I would not start a reef tank without a sump.  I would also invest in a very good skimmer and very good lights.  How many watts is your T-5 set-up putting out?

27446[/snapback]

Thank you for the input. Unfortunately, there will be no sump on this tank due to space (lack of). I really only want to dabble in a few simple corals. The tank will be mostly fish and LR.

Well, lets see:

The AquaClear 402 is putting out about 250gph

AquaClear 201 is putting out about 110gph

Fluval 204 cannister filter is putting out only 180gph, PLUS is only recommended for tanks upto 40gal.

The cpr HOB skimmer depends on the Powerhead/pump pushing it, either way that totals to less than 500gph. About a third of what I would recommend.

I used a Penquin 440 for my 30g tank last year and did an OK job, but you will be working a 55g.

A 55g borders on just beyond a SMALL tank and depending on the load with the number of fish, would tax your Fluval and HOB Skimmer.

Why do you not want a sump? A base stand for it is more than enough room to setup one. They can be nothing more than a 20g tank in the base, where you can place a skimmer and pump like a Mag7 or Mag9.5 running into a SCWD. Will give you a good deal of water movement and depending on what your looking into for fish loads, a good skimmer is a GREAT investment to a happy tank.

Lighting like a 4-55w PC, like a JEBO on Ebay for about $80-90 or a DIY Kit for VHO bulbs will work with Endcaps also.

Howard

Guest jcwordslinger

I just realized that the Fluval is for 40g. Mistake on my part. The tank is 50g, plus I plan on having live rock. I was under the assumption that a mech filter wasn't always necessary with saltwater tanks. Actually, some people have told me that I should not use one at all. I know sump is the way to go, but I just can't do it right now. Some day I will upgrade (when I buy a house perhaps) and get larger tanks. Sump is in my future. But for now, with what I have, what do you suggest for water movement in my tank?

And I just ordered some lighting from reefgeek.com. I bought T5 Tek Lights.

Thank you for your input.

JC

Jason,

You may want to consolodate your posts on the new tank into one thread. Many of the topics are related, and in a tank EVERYTHING is related.

This way, I wont ask if you are seeing a sand storm in one thread, only to read in another that you are or talk about how easy a sump is only to see that you have ruled the idea out for space / time reasons.

Help me help you.

Again, yer doing great.

Phil

Guest jcwordslinger

Phil, you're absolutely right. So here's my next question: could I possibly get a list of components needed in order for me to construc my own sump. I'd like to use a 10g.

Jason,

Hmmm, now that your really thinking about it, this could more of a pain than we let on.

Since you tank is not "drilled" IE. there isn't a hole in the glass for water to drain down into the sump, you are faced with 2 options.

1. Drain the tank, bring it to Grim at TRT and have him drill it. Fit a bulkhead and put the whole thing back together.

2. Get an external over flow. These are designed to syphone water out of the tank at a flexable rate so the water level in the tank /sump stay where they should regardless of the speed of the pump / power outages and other unknowns. I dunno crud about these things. They cost $ and I , hear storries about em not working too good.

As for the sump itself, you would need a pump to push water back up, to the tank (500 to 1250 gal / hr at 4 ft head would be fine) and I would suggest a slightly larger container, say an old 20 gal tank. Then lay out your design, do a little glass cutting (not that hard) get some silicone, hoses.... then you put your heater and skimmer down there, maybe you want a sump / fuge in one tank like Lee has, or no fuge, or two seperate units like me. There isn't much more.to it.

What am I missing? Anyone?

Look, I'm sure someone will call me crazy for saying this, but you could run a great tank with no sump for a while and when you have things moving along and have a better feel for the work / cost / space requirements. Next time you are visiting someone's tank you will look at their sump and return system in a whole new way.

There are so many options, in 2 months you could be thinking about lighting upgrades if you see a REALLY cool SPS or fall in love with a BTA. Maybe your wife falls in love with a tang and you decide you (she) can't live without a bigger tank. Who knows...

I guess my point it take your time and research before making changes. If I had known what I was doing and gone right from NO bolbs to VHO I would have save big $ on my double NO, PC and double PC light systems.... never mind the next stel to MH.

geez what a long post... I should go to bed

Phil, you're absolutely right.  So here's my next question:  could I possibly get a list of components needed in order for me to construc my own sump.  I'd like to use a 10g.

27589[/snapback]

Guest clownfish4

Nicely put Grav. Although you can run a tank with no sump and T5 lighting for awhile, I recommend doing it right from the beginning. I started with a 29g tank with no sump and let it run for 4 months before I broke down and emptied the entire thing and got it drilled at TRT. I also wasted money on PCs before putting forth the bucks for Metal Halides. My point is you can run without a sump for awhile, but you will end up wanting one later. I also have a fuge in my sump and think it is a great addition.

Mike,

you are 100% right, but what you may not know is that his tank is up and running now. Draining it and getting Grim to drill will be a killer pain. I say he should get some fish and enjoy the tank a little. Enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Guest jcwordslinger

Live rock is in! TRT had some beautiful, large pieces. Need to aquascape now, but the slightest of movements creates such a sandstorm.

For now I will run the cannister filter. I plan on building my own sump soon probably out of a 20g that will fit nicely under my tank. I plan on using an overflow. My challenge now is figuring out how to use my CPR HOB skimmer in a sump. I'll rig it somehow. I'm not in a hurry. I saw a thread on RC for people that go sumpless and they posted their pics. Very nice. It encouraged me to relax with my current set-up.

I bought a couple Maxi-jet 1200's yesterday at Superpetz. They have some great prices on equipment.