YOU Built Cone Skimmer

dandy7200

• 3 weeks later...

These are due to ship this week! We have made a few nice design tweaks as well. Look for a custom machined and optimized venturi on the optional Sicce pump. Also, a larger diameter air intake tube and silencer, and a custom rubber-footed pump stand to reduce vibration.

A few WAMASers should have them arriving late this week, and there may be one or two more available in this round for anyone else who wants to build their own high performance cone skimmer!

Dan's been busy on the CNC router & lathe. Here's a pic of the above-mentioned custom venturis for the Sicce pump. Oooo Shiny!

sicce-clear-venturi.jpg

http://www.avastmarine.com/cb/2010/08/custom-sicce-volutes/

I have a GS1 and was wondering if I could get one of these custom volutes along with a wedge pipe type of valve. I have the gate valve with knob but wanted to get a wedge pipe instead in order to avoid putting my hand in the water to make the adjustments.

I have a GS1 and was wondering if I could get one of these custom volutes along with a wedge pipe type of valve. I have the gate valve with knob but wanted to get a wedge pipe instead in order to avoid putting my hand in the water to make the adjustments.

Hi Darren

We have extra venturi inserts for retrofitting PSK 2500s. As for a wedge pipe, we don't make them, but we do have a fine thread (micro adjustable) gate valve in testing. I will ask Dan and see if there are any complete ones in the shop. We designed it so that 20 turns of the handle equals about 2 turns of a normal gate valve. This allows much more precise control of the skimmer water level.

A simpler solution though may be to simply add two Ells to your output pipe stem, one to turn the pipe vertical, then angle it horizontal again, closer to the water surface. Then just put your gate valve on the end, which should keep the handle out of the water. None of this even needs to be glued; you could probably just friction fit all of the fittings.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Russ,

Out of the box, no. But I think it is possible to mod it to run externally. Jason (the filter freak) has one that he is modding to run externally. I will wait to see if he is successful before I comment further. Jason, any updates?

Justin