Rusty tank stand

paul b

My Daughter will be getting married in a few weeks and my wife wanted me to take out this Hope chest that we have to take out this little hanherchief. It was my Mother's hope chest and she was 99 years old when she died so this wooden chest is about 85 or so. In those days, around 1920 or so women needed a dowry to get married. So they had to keep all these clothes and other junk in there to bring to the marriage, I know, stupid. Anyway we keep it in the back of the fish closet so you have to remove absolutely everything in that closet to get to the thing.

When the closet was empty I noticed everything was wet, I figured either the tank was leaking or somerthing was splashing back there.

But it is just from humidity. Today here in NY is is almost 100 degrees and the humidity is about 85%. That means that everything is wet, no matter where it is. The air is just soaked so there is nothing you can do about it. If I turn on the de humidifier today, it will just use electricity, suck out gallon upon gallon of water from the ait but it won't make a dent in the moisture.

I rarely get an opportunity to crawl under the tank to check things out and I was not too happy with what I found. One leg of the galvanized stand is very corroded.

It is soaking wet just from humidity and there is no circulation back there.

Another leg was rusted but I managed to dry it and coat it in epoxy resin but this one is in worse shape. When I get time, and when the humidity is lower, I will also coat this leg in epoxy but I will also install another leg next to the rusted leg. I don't want to remove the bad leg because the tank has been there for decades and I don't want to disturb it.

It lasted long enough so I got my money's worth out of it.

I guess it's time to get another stand and do a reaquascaping of your DT.

OMG no. I built this stand and I will just re inforce it. I figure I am pushing 62, how long can I live anyway? :mellow:

Besides, you would have an excuse for not being at the wedding.

I don't think that would fly at my only daughter's wedding, besides I fixed the stand leg already. I just bolted up a new piece of Kindorf to the stand and it is better than new.

I also found out why that leg rusted so badly. The manifold for the UG filter is right above that leg and sometimes it splashes on the back wooden wall. Days like today when we have 100 degrees and 85% humidity, that wooden wall gets wet. A piece of the wood warped against the steel leg and the water has been dripping down that steel leg probably for many years. Now I bolted a new leg to the stand and secured the wall back away from the leg. It should last another 4o years. :blush: