100% Ammonia

tygger

Guest reverai
Anyone know of a local store that carries pure ammonia that can be used to begin a cycle?

26660[/snapback]

You don't need pure ammonia to start a cycle. Just any ammonia without perfumes or additives other than water will do just fine. Just look at the bottle see what it's inside. I bought some at the Giant store chain and it worked fine with a freshwater tank. I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do with a saltwater tank since just adding live rock and sand and a piece of shrimp will do just as well as ammonia. In any case, I'm sure one can buy pure ammonia anyway outside a chemical supply company and even they might wonder what you want with it as pure ammonia can be used to make large bombs!

Steve

the stuff steve mentions is what you want. You really would not want to be handling pure ammonia- very toxic stuff.

I actually meant just ammonia without the cleaning chemicals added. I stopped by Giant and the only one I found had cleaners in it.

Oh yea, I'm going to use this to start a cycle on a fw tank. I'm setting one up for my parents... :)

Guest goblinshark

you dont want 100% pure ammonia, first of all it would burn through you skin and then when you add it to water it would produce toxic fumes

Cycle is a product that you by from the store that makes your tank 6 months old right off the jump. I have used it many times in the past and it works very well.

Brian

Instead of trying to find clear ammonia, I think I'll just do the shrimp method. I just thought the liquid ammonia method would be a little quicker since I wouldn't have to wait for the shrimp to begin decomposing.