Carnation Coral Care

watson_barrett

Anything special to worry about in water perameters for keeping carnation corals sucessfully? I see they have stronium and mabye iodine or something??? Does anyone keep these corals without monitoring anything special?

Thanks guys/gals.

I've got 3; 1- bubble gum pink, 1-purple and white (the candy crab lives in it) and pink with orange and white plus 1 chili coral. It's been a little over a month for the carnation corals and so far so good. I've had the chili coral since October and it's tripled in size....I was told that it wouldn't make it. In the same tank I have a sun coral, a dendro that I'm trying to revive and a few snails. The carnation and chili corals like to hang upside down. They also like/need high direct flow and LOTS of feedings through out the day. I feed phytoplex, Phytofeast and oysterfeast. I also dose iodine. I also keep xenia, cabbage coral and sun corals in that tank. I keep the tank a little dirty in that I wont change the water for 10 or so days. I also don't have a skimmer on that tank, just a HOB and several macro in the tank. I have no fish in there or anything else that may change the chemistry of the water dramatically. So far everyone is happy and thriving. Carnation corals are interesting. They expand and contract thoughtout the day. Sometimes they collapse and look like they're dying and then in about an hour they puff up again. They really expand at night when the lights are out. I've increased the feedings at night. If I were mechanically inclined I would attempt to make some kind of feeding pump or set up a drip so they get constant food,but I'm not. I want to give these corals a little more time before I rearrange them in the tank and take pics. I posted pics of the crab about 2 weeks ago.

I posted several articles about keeping carnation corals about a month ago. Do a member search for wfoxfox then search his posts. You'll find them there.

Anything special to worry about in water perameters for keeping carnation corals sucessfully? I see they have stronium and mabye iodine or something??? Does anyone keep these corals without monitoring anything special?

Thanks guys/gals.