WTB Calcium Reactor

Caribbean Jake

Since I missed the DIY Ca Reactor party I been forced to do a research on web sites and look around for a Calcium Reactor The more I look the more confuse I get. I understand I need a Reactor, a bubble counter, gages and CO2 tank, but what type of pump? One or two pumps? Is there a package set up out there you guys recommend? One or two reactors? Why two towers? Can someone put me on the right track?

Thanks

Jacob

a single chamber is fine- a second can always be added. as far as pumps- most come with the pump that the reactor itself uses. There needs to be some way of getting water to the reactor though- it can be from a T off a return line, a dedicated powerhead, one of those new lifter pumps, etc. Lots of ways to accomplish this part. I have a Korralin reactor that I picked up from algaeman- I love the design of it as it uses a real small footprint. Most of the acrylic guys like geo, precision marine, etc all use the same design, and these seem to need some space but never heard any real complaints about them.

I picked up a regulator, with needle valve, solenoid, and bubble counter from Aquacave.com for $80. Made by Milwaukee. Premium Aquatics and probably Marinedepot have some packages for everything.

For the tank, you can either get that from Robert's oxygen if you plan to use them for CO2 refills, or buy your own tank, which will come empty.

The second tower is really a way to try to make sure that the co2 is all used up. In many of the designs this is just a passive flow through. I remember Paul used to just run the effluent of the reactor over an open air container of extra media. I have made them in the past with old tap water purifier containers.

Hey Jake

You didn't miss the CA reactor party we all got really busy the last few months. I want to get to chips to check out his reactor and I am looking to start this party up again soon.

By soon I'm thinking April when it starts getting warm again.

Chris

Guest Leishman

Talk to George (Geofloors) he built mine and many more in the area. He'll be at the meeting on Sat.

Great work and great price.