What the...Where'd the Wrasse Go?

dcreefer

So, I picked up a "hyper active with a touch of OCD" :wacko: (my personal diagnosis) Christmas Wrasse a couple of months ago (thanks dtfleming) and he quickly became the star of the tank.

The Wrasse constantly swims at all levels of the tank and goes to bed every evening at the same time regardless of if the lights are on or off or if it is feeding time!

I added some other fish over the next couple of months and the wrasse disappeared.

Knowing their capacity to Jump to their deaths I searched around to make sure he hadn't made a break for the floor. Nope, just gone! :huh:

The Wrasse is not the first fish that I have had to vanish from the tank but, he was the largest at nearly 6 inches. I just figured "The Circle of Life" got him...I've had one clownfish to be eaten by his anemone and I had a sea star take out a couple of gobies....so....I figured he was gone. :cry:

After of wrasseless week, he just showed back up! What the :blink: ...where did you go and what were you doing for a week? :ohmy:

Is that common?

I've heard of wrasses staying in the sand for a long time when they get upset at a new addition to the tank.

That's interesting. I wonder what he was doing all that time...he has such an appetite, I'm surprised he didn't starve to death.

Maybe he went to the Caribbean for vacation for the week. I could use a week away myself

That's too funny :laugh: all I know is if anyone is going to on vaca' it better be me! :clap:

When I first got my Melanurus wrasse, he swam around for 2 days and then he disappeared for 4 days!!

I thought the same as you..... he's dead. But then one day, he was back. Now he is out everyday.

My dude buries himself in the sand every night, so I think he was just stressed in the new tank and took a break.

He does still bury himself every night at lights out.

Laura

+1 to him just hiding because of the new addition. I have a flasher and a six-line wrasse, the flasher hides under a brain coral at night, and I have no idea where the six-line goes. The six-line went into hiding for a few days after I added the flasher, so that's just what I would guess.