Soft Coral Growth Rates?

Ok,

So here is the deal. I have Pulsing Xenia, Long GSP, and Short GSP in my tank spreading like crazy (which I am happy with). However, I have multiple types of mushrooms that live fine / take food, but are not spreading/splitting at all. I have moderate flow and Power Compact Lighting with good water parameters. "All else equal" what could be the reason? I know some people can not even get pulsing xenia to stay alive, and have mushrooms spreading like crazy!??! What gives?

I know many of you are SPS lovers and would tell me to let it all die, but it's my first tank and its only 29 gallons. I just get pleasure out of seeing corals multiply whether they are considered nice or not.

xenia, gsp, kenya tree's, etc grow like weeds, I had a speck of a kenya tree left on one rock (as in i scraped all i could see off) and there are now several babies in my frag tank and somehow one in my main (which it must have gone into the sump and then up the return ???)

mushrooms things like that seem to grow much slower for me. I completely understand liking to see that your doing things right, but just keep in mind when you want to move on to different corals these things can become overwhelming. I used to love my kenya tree (single) and i cant tell you how many i gave away it is almost to the point of paying people to take it and not selling it haha.

Post some pics so yuo have record of growth.

mushrooms things like that seem to grow much slower for me. I completely understand liking to see that your doing things right, but just keep in mind when you want to move on to different corals these things can become overwhelming. I used to love my kenya tree (single) and i cant tell you how many i gave away it is almost to the point of paying people to take it and not selling it haha.

Post some pics so yuo have record of growth.

Yea, I do not plan on mixing any hard corals or even zoas in with what I have now. I am using this tank as a test run for whenever I upgrade which will be no time soon. Good call on taking pictures. The frag of xenia I got about a year or less ago started as ONE stalk. It is now probably 20+ stalks. I am definately going to take pictures for future refernce. Thanks.

Ok,

So here is the deal. I have Pulsing Xenia, Long GSP, and Short GSP in my tank spreading like crazy (which I am happy with). However, I have multiple types of mushrooms that live fine / take food, but are not spreading/splitting at all. I have moderate flow and Power Compact Lighting with good water parameters. "All else equal" what could be the reason? I know some people can not even get pulsing xenia to stay alive, and have mushrooms spreading like crazy!??! What gives?...

I have the same problem but opposit. My shrooms are doing great and multiplying buy my pulsing xenia is melting. I think it happened after I added a UV sterilizer. Other than that everything is doing great. Any ideas why this may be happening?

I have no idea. If you want to trade I'll give you some of my pulsing xenia like 5-10 stalks for a couple of your shrooms? Maybe it's just the different species. pm me if interested.

(edited)

I have found that once you get your nitate's, phosphates low in your water, Xenia dosen't do real well.

Edited by surf&turf