Do I really need a controller?

fogcutter

Do I need a controller? Which is an entirely different question than do I WANT a controller.

I'm still in the research phase of putting my new tank together. Based on some good advice and suggestions I've gathered here I'm beginning to settle on the 57g rimless. Although I don't like where the drain is...I think I can live with it.

I'm all about the atomization and constant monitoring of my tank through ph probes, temp etc but if I decide to go with an MP40 ES or even two MP 10 ES's then I don't need wave maker function of a controller. I'm probably going go with the PAR 38 LED fixtures with are not dimmable so I don't need the sunrise-sunset function and I have my own custom ATO system so I don't need that function either. And besides the water parameter monitors, those are the functions I've seen most advertised in expensive controllers. And a good chiller is going to have it's own heater controller built in so I don't need that function.

So really I just need something to run some probes for ph, alk etc..and I love the idea of being able to monitor remotely. At most perhaps a moonlight timer which I can do myself as well. I just don't need the majority of the bells and whistles that most of the controllers come with. Problem is I don't like to do things half-way...if I decide to get a controller I want the "big dog" but obviously if I spend the cash on an APEX or something I won't be using most of the features and technology moves too fast to rationalize having it for a future tank. At this point I don't think I'm buying one at all.

Is there such a thing as an entirely modular controller with just probes and remote monitoring? My research so far hasn't turned up anything but I'm still looking. Are there any other arguments for having a "big time" controller?

Thanks!

(edited)

the best thing about controllers is not telling you temp, ph, turning ato on/off, or sun rise sun set. The best part of a controller is the ability to catch things before they fail. Lets say your tank temp gets over 84, your controller can turn off the lights and turn on fans. it will prevent unexpected things from happening. It can send you warnings, text or email when something is off. If my main pump goes off i know within minutes of it happening. If my water level in my sump is too low it will tell me. If the temp is too low during the night and the heater is already on it will tell me and then turn on the lights to bring the temp back up. There are so many positives with these things that out weight the cost. There are endless things you can do, dosing chemicals is another plus. Controlling you calcium reactor if you have 1.

I highly recommend 1 no matter how big or small your system is.

Edited by rocko918

No, you do not need it. I had reef tanks for about 14 years without one, but it sure makes life easier and less stressful having one. When you think about how much money we have in our tanks a controller with a notification feature is a blessing. Mine has saved my tank three times over the last year. There were, two power outages and one time when a light timer that got stuck on which would have boiled my tank while I was on a Summer vacation.

No, you do not need it. I had reef tanks for about 14 years without one, but it sure makes life easier and less stressful having one. When you think about how much money we have in our tanks a controller with a notification feature is a blessing. Mine has saved my tank three times over the last year. There were, two power outages and one time when a light timer that got stuck on which would have boiled my tank while I was on a Summer vacation.

It's a wise investment for the reasons mentioned above. Remote monitoring and email notification are huge, especially if you travel. My tank is not on our main floor, so sometimes I go a day or two without even looking at it. (I know: shocking!) I always check my WAMAS signature or the Aquanotes web server page though to see what's going on, and I've found parameters out of whack before that required action.

I find the controller to be one of the best purchases I have ever made. For me it is because my job requires travel. I have checked my tank, and and adjusted things, from an internet cafe in Africa. Even when I am not traveling, it has saved me several times by alerting me to pending disasters while I am at work. It is easy to leave your top-off switched off, or dose a little too much kalk. Those are things you can fix with your blackberry while sitting in a meeting.

If you think you will ever go with a controller it is best to get it over with. You will spend a ton of money getting separate monitors, timers, ATO etc, that you will replace when you get a controller. Even if you don't upgrade to a new tank soon, you will likely find yourself dosing kalk or two-part, or running a Calcium reactor. All of those things are cheaper once you have made the investment in a controller.

As far as technology goes, controllers are not like a Blu-ray. The functions don't change very fast. I have used an AC III on and off since 2004. With the upgradeable architecture of the APEX, I bet that will be solid investment for a decade.

You can definately run a tank successfully without one, but I sure love mine. (I guess it shows)