Bowiereefer's 29gal with 130 watts of PC's

Hello All,

I am going to start with a list of everything I have in my tank to date, followed by methods I have been using, and lastly photo's of the tank.

Drystuff:

29 gal tank

130 watt's of PC's. one light is 50/50, the other is white.

Back Pack CPR skimmer with filter sock on exit pipe

Hang on filter with carbon, phosphate remover, and floss filters.

heater...

160 gph powerhead.

frag rack.

Fish:

Coral Beauty

Clown

blue chromis

red spotted sand perch

Corals:

Pulsing Xenia

Rics

green mushroom

unknown mushroom

colt coral

2 types green star polyps

green button polyps

green candy cane

chalice frags

maxima clam (hopefully i can keep it alive)

LR and LS

Ok, so I have to admit I don't test my water often at all. I do 3 gallon water changes every couple weeks. I supplement with Kent coral-vite, purple up, a buffer, a sludge remover, algaecide. When I do water changes I use tap water . . .I treat it, and everything is happy so I haven't bothered to go to ro/di.

I feed the fish frozen mysis, cyclopeeze, spectrum. I have been feeding the clam DT's.

I run my lights for 10 hours a day, and keep the temp at 77-78.

I can not think of anything else at the moment, but I am hoping to get some feedback good or bad. I know the biggest thing is that I am using tap water, but the tank has been up and running for over a year now, and I really don't see any issues. As long as the xenia is pulsing I assume things are ok. I plan on testing for calcium more now that I have the clam.

I have put the clam on a flat rock on the frag rack at the top of the tank. I feed it with a bottle upside down cut in half as I have read is the best way. Coraline is doing ok, but not encrusting as fast as I thought it might.

Edited by BowieReefer84

I took all of these photo's with an IPHONE. I like reef's and fish, not camera's. Please work with me on the quality. If you want to see something more clear I will break out the Digital camera, but it may not be any better . . .ENJOY

(edited)

I also have blue/red hermits, nasarious snails (the ones that go under the sand), turbo snail, peppermint shrimp.

My first question is what is the one larger mushroom I have called? It was one of the first corals I bought, and I just picked it out not knowing anything at the time. I didn't even aclimate, just threw it on in. It has survived well, and loves to eat mysis. Balloons around them in seconds.

Edited by BowieReefer84

The Blue Maxima has attached to the rock I put it on already. Picked it up Saturday at Mrcorals, and it's already attached. I went to re-center it on the rock cause I am OCD and it didn't come off haha. Must not mind the Power Compacts too much. I know they need higher light when they get larger. ...will give me a reason to update lights, prob the whole setup ;)

Welcome to the club! The tank looks good. A word of caution though - Those Palythoas at the top of your tank are fast spreaders. Once they get on the move, it's almost impossible to get rid of them. Oh, and I wouldn't try boiling the rock to kill them......trust me on that one.

(edited)

ok . . I need to ask. What's a palythoas? Are they bad, or are you talking about the button polyps? They are turning a little white, and not closing as quickly when fed. What causes this? I want everything to spread! That's why I have xenia, gsp, and mushrooms. This is my first tank, and watching things grow fast is making me happy. I plan on doing more LPS whenever I start another tank. I don't really plan to do anything more to this tank (other than letting it fill in). Too small and don't want to drill for a sump.

Sorry for all the questions. I have had this tank running for the past two years, and it's nice to have the help on the forums.

Thanks for the greeting!

Edited by BowieReefer84

• 3 months later...
(edited)

I just added a 150 watt metal halide (14k phoenix) over this tank thanks to Rob jumping off the mh bandwagon. I was running my PC's for 10 hours a day. I set the halide up 12" over the water. What is a good photo period to break in the corals too. I was thinking 4 hours a day, and increasing by an hour each week up to 8 hours a day? Thoughts?

tn_gallery_2632417_793_81225.jpg tn_gallery_2632417_793_97639.jpg

Edited by BowieReefer84

• 1 month later...