Tube worms.

Jan

What happens to tube worms? One minute they are there and the next they're gone. Nowhere to be found. Does anything eat them? Do they leave their tubes and can't find their way back home? I had a gorgeous red and white tube worm that would be out everyday. Then all of a sudden one day it didn't come out and I've not seen it in a week. I pulled the tube out of the sand and it looks like it isn't in there anymore.

What happens to tube worms? One minute they are there and the next they're gone. Nowhere to be found. Does anything eat them? Do they leave their tubes and can't find their way back home? I had a gorgeous red and white tube worm that would be out everyday. Then all of a sudden one day it didn't come out and I've not seen it in a week. I pulled the tube out of the sand and it looks like it isn't in there anymore.

Could be either. I read something about how sometimes they will leave their tubes and aren't able to make another one/aren't able to find their way back. I know some wrasses eat them, not so sure about things like crabs and such though.

Various things (certain fish, crabs, shrimp, etc.) eat them, or when stressed, they can leave their tubes. They are able to make another one, but IME, when they leave their tubes they are usually done for.