Nano Skimmer

Guest Moa

Guest Moa

Some time ago, I posted regarding a design for an injection type skimmer that was nano-sized. It was posted on nano-reef.com by UndertheRadar.  I'm DIY-impaired but gave it a try and it actually fits underneath the hood of my nanocube--no cutting of the hood!  

Here is the original plan:

Nano Skimmer

and Diagram:

171final_nano_skimmer_14inch_high.jpg

Here's the skimmer I made from the plan:

171NanoCubeSkimmer.jpg

171SkimmerinCube.jpg

171SkimmerSideView2.jpg

There are basically 3 changes to the original design that make the skimmer fit in the back of the cube:

1) In order to fit under the lid it needs to be shortened to 13 1/2 inches high (from 14"). My water level is at 10 1/2 inches so I moved the injector up a 1/2 inch from the original plan.

2) I left the bottom off. The skimmer goes in compartment 1. The pump goes in compartment 2.  I used 1/2" plastic tubing to connect to the pump. It fits really snugly over the CPVC and fits over the outlet of the pump.

3) The injector is simply 1/2" CPVC with 3 1/8" holes.  The pump is the stock Nanocube pump (~100gph).

I modified the injector end cap. I just cut a piece of acrylic and used it instead of a CPVC cap. The space is tight back there so you have to be efficient with your CPVC plumbing. I use tubing that leads out the back and dumps into a container underneath my desk. No emptying a skimmer cup!

I'm really happy with the result.  There is a complete lack of craftsmanship but it's working and pulling out some yucky stuff with a pretty wet foam.  

Thought others might find interesting.

-Joe

Nice!!

But I have bad news for you.

I am revoking your DIY Impaired parking pass.

Building a nano skimmer = solid DIY skills.

Guest Moa
LOL, it's a good thing my camera has a low resolution. Thanks for the compliment.  Is a pretty easy design.  Others that are interested would find it to be a piece of cake to put together.