golden dwarf moray eel ??'s

guppychao

Just received a golden dwarf moray eel as my latest addition to my tank.

anyone have experience with these guys? i never see the eel, only occasionally when the main lights go off.

i place food in the same spot every time, at first i use to see it eat the food, now i dont. guess its not that hungry

what have you guys or gals done to train the eel so that it would be visable? do you feed it once a day, once every other day?

You probably need to only feed 1-2X per week. What are you feeding it? With forceps?

You probably need to only feed 1-2X per week. What are you feeding it? With forceps?

thanks, feeding it table shrimp and clams for now. using forceps buy think he is still a little scared

i had one...its was pretty cool until it ate my helfrichi pair..they stay fairly small but beware, it will eat anything it can fit in its mouth.i fed mine every other day.

They are very cool, I have a friend who owns an LFS called Reefkeepers in Clayton NC (near Raleigh), he has one in his display tank. It is almost white in many areas on its' body. They like lots of rock work with overhangs. It will be very shy at first, but hunger will drive him out. They stay small, they are a true gymnothorax species, so it is a real moray.

That means small crustaceans and fish will find their way into his mouth!!!

Edited by overklok

I bought mine in April 2004. It will eat krill, large PE mysis, but it really likes Gamma foods lancefish.

It will come out during feeding time for the anemones 1 out of 5 times. I try to feed it directly after lights out at least once a week, but it has gone without be directly fed as long as 6 weeks.

It has been in tanks with the smallest of clowns, but no confirmed or even suspected kills.

Make sure it is not a small miliaris vs melatremus, or you'll be quite surprised. I have had both in my hunt to build out a pair of melatremus. Melatremus key ID characteristic: vertical striping on the eye which tends toward bluish.

Best of luck with yours mine has been an interesting addition to my tanks.

thanks for the replies. what stinks is you buy an interesting addition and you never get to see it.

funny how i hunt for it to make sure its not dead.

feed it today, place the food in the same spot, looked away for at most 5 secs, and the food was gone, got the flashlight out and saw a glimp of it. hope it gets a little more social.

wonder how they catch these things

traveller, mine definately has those characteristics vertical striping and blue eyes.