nano

Aquariareview

I have a 5.5 gal tank that I want to set up as a nano reef for my office.

I am a big tank guy and need advice on set up. I want to do bright Zoos and ???

advice needed

DIY Lighting?

Skimmer?

livestock?

NANO People I need all of the input that you can give me.

Guest greatwit
a good place to start is nano-reef.com to look at similar setups for 5.5 gallon tanks in the members section and see what livestock people have had luck with. pc is prob your best bet for lighting and most people go skimmerless at that size with weekly gallon water changes. hob filters with no media are also good for flow, at increasing volume and having a place to put your heater or small skimmer. this can be suplemented with a small powerhead like the mini jet 606.

on my 10 gallon, I ran a berlin luft skimmer for a while, but haven't for the last couple of years.  Find a small powerhead (minijet or equivalent) and a hang on filter (the ones that can take the heater inside would be ideal) and this will give you a way to run carbon when you want.  Small PC's would be your best bet for lighting- though I would shoot for 30 watts or more.  CSL makes a 27 watt quad bulb.  On my 10 gallon I have 2x36 watt PCs from hellolights in a home made hood.  There are also the "palm" lamps that can clip on the side of the tank, but I think the brightest they have is 13 watts.  Only potential problem you can run into with zoanthids is that some can grow really fast- though you can always prune them back.

I would highly recommend a Nano Cube-about 12 gallons with a bio filter in the rear, a punp, 50/50 PC lights and float magnetic glass cleaner. The entire package is 99 dollars at Wally's Aquarium. I started one about two months ago for my office. I have a pepermint, cleaner, fire goby, zoos, mushrooms, snails and some hermits- Enjoy the heck out of it sitting right by my desk--No skimmer, but has not proved to be a problem yet. I just added a wee bit of Kalk to try and boost the coraline growth. It it fun and inexpesive compared to a large tank- But that being said I can't wait to get my 150G up and running later this month-few more fish relationships. But I still refuze to get bit by the LPS or SPS bug.

Lee- that bug will find you if you hang around hear long enough :)

Myself- I have been bitten by the lionfish/puffer bug!!!!  Needs to wait a couple years though to satisify the hunger though.

Myself- I have been bitten by the lionfish/puffer bug!!!!  

Just flood the basement.  M. will love that.  :ghostface:

Lee, support your local power company and install lots of MH lights.   :D  

Lights - browse the boards, ebay and papers, always someone selling stuff.

I'm not sure you need a skimmer if you do monthly water changes.  Biggest challenge, IMO is top-off water system.  If you can find a system for that you are set.

Guest cjm033
if you wanna just keep softies id do a 27 watt quad or 2-13 watt pc's if you wanna do a little more go with the quad and 1 13 watt pc or 3-13 watt pc's or you could go with a 70 watt hallide. for top off's theres a guy named physh1(i think thats his user name) on nano-reef.com that sells auto yop offs for nano's and californiareefs.com has em too i think (he may even be the same guy that makes em for that site not sure never got one) for a skimmer ya dont need one just keep up on your water changes,Chris

I went and got the tank at wallys. JBJ Nano cube. I am very impressed with this little thing. I says 12 gal on the box but it holds a little over 9 gal.

28 watt 50/50 PC and a built in filter. The best part is that (unlike the eclipse tanks) this is all glass. I may need to replace the powerhead, but so far it looks good.

10 lbs of live rock and 2 in of live sand I will post some pics as soon as I have some coral in the tank

I felt that the punp was not strong enough- I upped it to the Mini jet 606 and have been running my Nano Cube system since 5 September. It truely is amazing that you can keep the diversity in a mini reef. I was running a mix of about 10 hermits in the Nano-cube but took 4 out yesterday as they were just too much and have read some articles bashing too many hermits. I started with 3 Turbos,3 Trochus, 3Cerinth, 3 Nassarius and 3 bumble bee snails. Only the turbos would I rethink. Bumbling monters rearrange the tank. Will take two of them out today. The Cerith really do stay in the sand most of the time. With the exception of having a silent oversized killer Brittle star that I donated to the Reef Tank, it has been working well and I continue to learn with it. Ashame that some of the learning in this hobby is so tied to having to make the mistakes personally. You read and read and yet it is all nuances, art rather than formula, but it keeps your interest!

Lee

• 2 weeks later...