Drill Bits

JoeDaddy

(edited)

Anyone know where I can buy some wood boring drill bits that are 1 3/4" and 1 1/8"? The only caveat is that I am drilling through the floor through a 2x4 stud and floor so they need to be kinda long. The ones at Home Depot and Lowes have drill bits that can't go too deep and the ones that can go deep are only up to 1".

Edited by JoeDaddy

Lowes carries Irwin Speedbor spade bits up to 1-1/2", but no larger. Can you get by with a 1-1/2" hole? Can you use a 1-3/4" hole saw and cut as deep as the tool allows, then chisel out the wood inside the kerf that the hole saw makes?

Amazon has an adjustable spade bit that goes up to 1-3/4 for about $25, made by WoodOwl (part 00658).

I agree, get an extension. I have one that reaches about 1' I think. You can also use a masonry bit for boring holes in concrete, but that won't do a very good job on the wood and will splinter it a lot, so start the hole off with a regular bit (I would only do this if you're in a pinch).

Home depot sells these...http://www.toolbarn.com/milwaukee-48-25-2001.html...I use these and they work like a champ.

Or you could order it....http://www.toolbarn.com/irwin-47418.html

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up using a smaller drill bit and going about 1/2 way through then swapping to the proper size hole saw. Using this method, I was able to get through 2 1/4" down through the base board and ply wood. I now have 2 nice size holes for my plumbing. Will take pics once it's all done.