Drinking Water from RODI System

reefhunter

I am going to put a RO drinking system in and have it run off my RODI. I have a booster pump already.

What brand kits do you guys have? I am looking at air water ice and spectrapure. I have a spectrapure RODI System.

Do I need a permeate pump?

(edited)

Since you have a booster pump I say no, it is not needed. The permeate pump is more for low water pressure systems like a well. If you have city water with at least 60psi you really do not need the pump.

The normal RO unit uses an automatic shutoff valve that shut off the unit at about 2/3 inlet pressure. So if you have 60psi coming into the house, when the holding tank reaches 40psi it will shut the RO unit off. That 40psi is still enough for drinking water. If you were on well water with about 40psi then the unit would shut off when the storage tank hits about 26psi.

Edited by Coral Hind

I would not use water from an RODI as drinking water. One reason, Legionella. http://www.cdc.gov/legionella/patient_facts.htm

An outbreak recently occurred in Nova at an apartment building. The water purification system on the building did "too good" of a job stripping the water of all chemicals. This lead to the bacteria forming and people getting sick.

I thought the taste is fine after RO but not after DI.

I think this is what I need. http://www.airwateri...eck-Faucet.html

Yes, that's what you need. I've been using mine for a couple years now. Taste is great - just like Aquafina (in fact, that's how they make Aquafina and Dasani - that's why it tastes so much better than Deer Park spring water). Make sure you have the in-line carbon filter between the tank and the faucet to remove any tastes that may have been picked up in the tank.

No, I only have a booster pump on the inlet to the RO system. The outlet pressure pressurizes the tank and that pressure is sufficient to propel it out of the faucet. I have the tank directly under the sink where the faucet is.

I have no booster, just tap pressure. My RODI device is in the basement and my RO output line runs horizontally about 25 feet and up to the kitchen sink on the main level. No pressurization issues.