10 gallon aggresive reef

cmill5k

this is my new ten gallon started after my 6 gallon crashed http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/32867-6-gal/

the ten gallon has 2 aqua clear filters on it and one red sea nano filter. there is a mini fuge (with grape calpura (sp?) and a 7 watt pc over it) in one ac and carbon and sponge ran in the other, the red sea nano filter just has sponge in it for now to catch loose debris im thinking about packing it with lr. theres a dwarf lion in here (around 2 inches) with an arrow crab and gold coral band shrimp (dont say anything i planned this out and its working fine they stay on their own sides of the tank and i keep a close eye on them) theres a hammer,frogspawn,zoas,rics,and blastomussa. i plan on keeping the tank to mainly softies and a few lps. theres 2 18 watt actinics over the tank and one 27 watt 65k (20 buck desk lamp from hd)heres a few teaser pics to start will get more as soon as i can. please excuse some of the corals not being open all the way it was the day after i added them, decided i couldnt get rid of my arrow crab since it was the only thing that survived my 6 gallon crash

10gal.jpg

2010-02-18160220.jpg

2010-02-19092723.jpg

2010-02-19092911.jpg

2010-02-19092919.jpg

2010-02-19100717.jpg

2010-02-19100809.jpg

Edited by cmill5k

I'm curious, are you afraid that the arrow crab will eat the lion? The arrow crabs I have seen, admittedly I have never owned one due to what I have seen some of them do in other people's tanks, would love to find a fairly sedentary fish like a small lion fish and start ripping apart their gills. I always thought that based upon what I knew of them that arrow crabs would pretty much kill anything (watched one rip a litte blue leg hermit right out of its shell once) that it could conceivably eat.

As far as the lion, cool little fish. Watch out for water chemistry in such a small system, though, lions in my experience are extremely sensitive to changes in water chemistry (had a tank that had a tiny ammonia spike in it that killed 6 lionfish I had (albeit all were babies that were less only about 1").

so far the only thing i had noticed was a slight aggression right when i added the lion but he acted aggressively toward the crab, the crab backed down and havent seen any problems since. the same goes for the cbs and the crab ever since their first territorial dispute the cbs stole his cave and the arrow has relocated. i just picked up a few more things from fins and feather yesterday it was my first visit to that store and it was great thanks for all your help fins and feathers. i also ordered a few things from vivid aquariums that should be here this week. and dave thanks for the tubs and ric they are both doing great i think a polyp or two may have even started on the blues.

the only supplements i add to this tank are one drop of lugols iodine two times a week. i change the water once a week and top off just over a half gallon a week. the lion is a fat little bugger he eats around a dozen ghost shrimp every 3 days (thats not including what ones naturally die or from the shrimp or crab hunting which i would say is 3 every 3 days) i gut load the shrimp with pellet and mysis before i feed them and acclimate them for about a hr to sw so theyll live a little longer til they are eaten.