Damm, disaster already....

dgasmd

Well, I woke up this morning and while walking to the kitchen I smell this fresh cut acropora frag smell. After 3 sec. all I culd think was f......k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(  :(  I ran down the stairs to find the tank 1/3 empty. I ran into the garage to find everything electric off and water all over the place. All the wires and plug in were drenched in water. Apparently since it has been rtaining, the garage had been close for a couple of days and the humidity built up to the point that water condensated on one of the pipes and dripped onto a plug, it tripped the circuit breaker, pumps stopped, and water overflowed into the sump. 30 gal on the floor of the garage!! I was able to get the pumps started by plugging them into another outlet I left things running and had to run out the door after trying to dry the  rest of the stuff.

My best guess is that it had been off for no more than 1 hour. We'll see the livestock damage when I get home.

Alberto

Guest JFish

That really sucks... how'd the tank get a 1/3rd empty though?  The overflow is definately not that high so what caused all that water to go back to the sump, sounds like you need to drill a few siphon holes to me.

Hope everything is ok and non of your equipment is fried.

Guest areefer

Sorry to hear about it. I have been hearing alot of story with people and overflow. When I setup my tank, I am going with a close loop system. I hope everything turn out fine.

Two fish swim up the river and both of them hit concrete. 1st fish turn to the other fish and said "DAM".  Read it off RC. :D

Guest tgallo
im sorry to hear that alberto, tell me more, you say condinsation  from a pipe dripped into your outlets and caused the power to go off, and onse the power went off the sump,s overflowed onto the garage floor, is this rite.

That really sucks... how'd the tank get a 1/3rd empty though?

The returns from the sump come into the tank through 2 bulkheads drilled about 3-4" below the water surface. So, when the pumps stop the water back syphons until it reaches that point. I have accomodated for it, but last time I made a water change, I must ahve filled the sump 30 gal higher than I should have. Now I know where that point is exactly. ???

tell me more, you say condinsation  from a pipe dripped into your outlets and caused the power to go off, and onse the power went off the sump,s overflowed onto the garage floor, is this rite.

The tank is inside the house while all the equipment is outside in the garage. The house is cooled by AC, but the garage is not. The tank feels cool to the touch always. With the garage close, raining outside, and with a humidity of 100%, the evaporation from the tank inside the garage has no place to go. Anything colder than the water will created condensation on it. So, all the PVC pipes, hoses, wires, and just about anything in the garage starts to condensate water over it.

I used to have a box fan blowing in the garage with the door opened, but that doesn't work at night since I close the garage door. Plus, the fan was making even more condensation when the door was closed and when it rained outside.

again, this is only an issue when it rains more than one day outside while it is pretty warm like it has been for the past 2 days. Still, a pain in the a........s!!

Alberto

Guest tgallo
man thats a tuff way to find out where you should keep the sump level at, but glad all is well. thanks for the condinsation lesson. :D

RobZ:

sorry to hear that Alberto, if you need anything let me know

Actually, there is something I need you could help me. I think if I get a frag of your A. efflourecent, blue A. tortuosa, a rose anemone, amd a couple of other frags, I will feel much better and make the pipes and sump equipment safer too. What do you say?? :D  :D  :D

Alberto,

Sorry to hear about your mess. I can empathize.

Hey Robie,

Same thing happend to me and I could use the same ones that Alberto wants. What do you think?

David

Alberto,

We enjoyed looking at the pics on your system and we are sorry to see that you had a "spill."  We are getting ready to set up a system similar to yours and we are positive that we cannot troubleshoot for all the possible snafu's that may occur.  We have had minor spills in the past with blocked tubes and back-siphoning and so since we know this will happen to us we would like to feel better about it at this point and we know that Robie can make us feel more secure.  Should we pick them up or do you want to deliver them yourself, Robie?  

Bob and Tamie

Thanks guys and gals........

It is all better now that I have redone things. Will post pictures later.

Alberto