Ritteri anemones- experts I need some advice

Valeria

H. magnifica tends to wander looking for lighting and flow improvements.

IME, they should be kept under a point light source like metal halides since this tends help keep them in a centrally located spot away from overflows, filter intakes, heaters, etc. I would avoid the even light distribution T5 situation unless you can accommodate the next two scenarios as well.

I would also try to position them on some sort of pedestal away from the sides of tank. They should be forced to have to move downward at least 12" before reaching the bottom. Such a pedestal will again assist in keeping them in one location.

Lastly, they appear to appreciate alternating flow across the top of the pedestal.

Best of luck, they can be quite a handful for even the most experienced anemone keepers.

I have nothing to add now that Scott has weighed in other than I think that one of them should go into a 300 gallon display with 400W halides over it rather than the tanks you are describing.

:biggrin:

H. magnifica tends to wander looking for lighting and flow improvements.

IME, they should be kept under a point light source like metal halides since this tends help keep them in a centrally located spot away from overflows, filter intakes, heaters, etc. I would avoid the even light distribution T5 situation unless you can accommodate the next two scenarios as well.

I would also try to position them on some sort of pedestal away from the sides of tank. They should be forced to have to move downward at least 12" before reaching the bottom. Such a pedestal will again assist in keeping them in one location.

Lastly, they appear to appreciate alternating flow across the top of the pedestal.

Best of luck, they can be quite a handful for even the most experienced anemone keepers.

Wow, you just described exactly how I have my Riteri setup. I agree with everything you stated. I had my anem wander a couple years ago and kill a bunch of corals. I used some PVC and designed a tower for the Riteri to perch on top of, completely separate from other rock and the glass. It loves the light intensity being that high up. It does wander on the top rock, but doesn't travel down the tower, partly because the top rock has a steep cliff/turn to make it down the tower. I have my Vortech on the blue pulse mode, creating a nice wave back and forth in my tank, and it seems to like this over any other settings.

I have had this anem for close to 5 years now. I have had it under:

Aquactincs 72" T5 only system

400watt Radiums

400watt Hamilton 14K

250Watt Phoenix 14K

150watt 10K XM

and now its under a Solaris LED light.

It has thrived under all of these lighting systems. I have noticed that flow has more to do with it's "happiness" than what light its under.

Best of luck with your new purchases. Make sure you post some pics!!!!!

I have had this anem for close to 5 years now.
Congratulations. Quite an accomplishment.

May it naturally divide for you so you can pass part of it along at some point :)

I have been debating on jump back to with H. magnifica for the last 2 years, I just have not decided I can with their finicky new arrival status that lingers on for up to 6 months.