Red Sea Max 250

JoeDaddy

I do have the red sea max 34g. It work well, has a great look and is my fisrt tank, so I have no comparison. The equipment are ok, you can have some softies, lps etc. The skimmer is good but of course (price) not bet best.

Its a good buy.

Anyone know anybody with one of these bad boys? I'm looking to switch to an AIO.

Thanks for the input. I found the reefsanctuary.com and saw others happy with theirs also. I guess it's all about convenience vs modding vs size. I'm able to get a new one for $1500 so I'm contemplating it.

I found a 7 mos old one on Craigslist for $700. It's in good shape. I'll be buying it from him on Saturday and post some pics.

I just gave one away because the pumps caught on fire. It was a good little tank for almost 4 years. I'm going to replace it at some point and I've also been looking at getting another AIO. Aside from the pumps catching on fire, my biggest gripe about the RSM (and most AIO systems) was the lack of a surface skimming overflow. It looks like the new model might have addressed the surface film issues a little better. Rather than dealing with that stupid gate one a day, I just added a powerhead that was angled at the surface of the water. It created enough turbulence to keep surface film from forming, but defeated the AIO aesthetic.

Going forward, I like the Elos Mini, but I really want a big fuge section. If you look at some of the TOTM nanos on RC or nano-reef.com, it's clear that what you don't spend on a good AIO upfront, you will pay for sevenfold with ugly or potentially dangerous mods. I wish the CADlights 22G didn't have a curved front (distortion). I'd love to get one of those and create a multi-stage fuge on the back with a mangrove popping out the top!

You guys can always do a DIY all-in-one like I did. I got a 60g cube and had a custom 6" sump built for the back (Jeff (NAGA) can custom make it for you). I drilled the tank and used a glassholes.com overflow so I'm getting good surface skimming and they don't take up much room. The sump is wide enough for a decent skimmer (but I had to get one the has the outlet 180 degrees from the pump inlet). I put an Euro-reef RS-80 back there and it works well. Check out my build thread:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=33450