Clown Fish Just layed Eggs!

cabrego

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses!

Just a little update. So far I am on day 6 and the fry are doing ok. I have lost at least 50 of the original batch so I am down to like 30-40 max. I hatched my first batch of baby brine shrimp and gave them a little taste last night. I only gave them a few maybe like 100 or so and I was still able to see some today after work. I will probably not feed them any more until this weekend. Probably friday or so.

Also, today is about two weeks since the first batch of eggs hatched and guess what?!

I have another clutch of eggs in the same spot. These guys work like a clock. I am not sure if I will be able to raise this batch, I am going to be pretty busy with work so I will have to play it by ear.

check with dbartco,

he might like to raise them.

Letting someone else raise them like Doug is definitely a possibility. I know he super busy with all of his babies!

Here is a little update,

I am down to about 20 total fry, I suspect that a combination of my temperature being a tad low (76-78) and light reflection coupled with perculas being generally slow growers might have caused some of the casualties over the last few days. Next time around I will definitely maintain at least 80 degrees and I will probably figure out a better lighting system since reflection off of the tank has been an issue for me. Most of the dead fry are obviously not eating as much and the strong survivors have large bellies that are actually full of BBS. There is still a reasonable amount of BBS in the tank so I am holding off on feeding more BBS until I see a strong decrease in the BBS population.According to Joyce Wilkerson, some of them fry can actually over eat and their bellies will burst, or the BBS gets lodged in their digestive system. Thus, I hope to err on the side of caution.

To support maintenance today, I also feed with many rotifers and I also feed my main tank rotifers too. I then proceeded with about a 40% water change in my rotifer culture and dosed with DT's. I was able to get a couple of reasonable photos of the fry today.

Here is day 7.75!

easter319b.jpg

easter319c.jpg

Well, it has been about a week since my last picture so I thought I would give a little update. So far I am down to about 12 fry and have been holding steady for the last 3 days. The fry seem to be growing a little slow, I think there are two factors 1) I really only had the temp at a steady 80 degrees for the last 4 days and 2) I have read that true perculas are much slower growers oh yeah and 3) the newbie factor!

In any event, the fry seem to be doing good they are stuffing there bellies with BBS and I try to give them crushed NLS pellets at least once a day. I missed my second hatch last night, but I am OK with that since my rotifer culture is recovering from a semi crash and I am going to be out of town for a couple weeks.

jan2010064b.jpg