lumenarc III-Diamond is going out of business

davidm

After getting one diamond lumenarc III reflector I have beensearching for two more.  In this process I have found out Diamond lighting is going out of business.  I found two more from another supplier, which cleans both of those suppliers out.

I thought I'd post this to let anyone know who wanted these reflectors they needed to act ASAP.  Two places I was going to try, but didn't need to are

Pacific garden supply 415-444-5550 and

greencoast hydroponics 510-333-2023

David M.

From who did you hear they were going out of business? I know Diamond Lights has been changing tons of things, and have not heard that yet, other than from suppliers who no longer carried their products. oh well!

I read about them closing on a couple of threads on Reef Central, as well as suppliers (mostly gardening) who sold their stuff.  At least two told me Diamond was going out of business as well as had their phone disconnected.  It's a shame - I've always liked their products - I have an full 175 MH system from them.  I remember talking to Jason at Premium Aquatics about why he discontinued selling their stuff (a couple of yrs ago) and he found them a pain to deal with.  David

Wow! No wonder my Diamond rep left a nasty message on his voicemail last week! I know they have had several issues with metal fabricators, and I had heard another company bought them out 3 months ago, but I guess they decided to sell everything off. Time to look into their patents! hehe

Well, trying to confirm their dead status, I called the 800 number and it is disconnected. Called their other number I ahd and there is a recording that gives you all these choices to pick or people to talk only to find their mailbox is full and you can't leave a message. NO human to talk to now. When I had called before, they would always personally answer the phone unless it was afterhours. Oh well, another ones going south ???  ???  ???

I got another call from a supplier I use when Diamond ran out of the smaller reflectors...he did confirm they filled for bankruptcy, so if they are the like most of the airlines, maybe they will be back? I bet the CEO is not hurting for cash these days :O)

Unless they got sued..hehe

I have located a distributor that is willing to sell me the last of their LumenArc3 14" reflector inventory at (unfortunately $10 higher than we used to sell them) $85 a piece + ground freight (which is like $7-8 per fixture). At this moment, I am able to order up to 20 of them. I will need to know asap if anyone is interested. Once funds are collected I will put in the order on Friday. Email me or call to reserve. This may be the last opportunity to get any for I have been through everyone I usually purchased from besides Diamond in the past. Thanks, Rich

watson@aquariausa.com 704-904-2022 443-310-7095

Well, after a couple of hours onlline and on the phone, I found another place that has tons of them in stock and actually has some deal with the manufacturer that used to make them for Diamond. His quote: "we won't be running out of them anytime soon". They are pricey though since they are a retail location.

They are willing to give a bit of a price break if the order is for 10 or more. These things are big and bulky, but they are very light. So, shipping should be not much when combining an order.

They are out of CA. He wants $135 each, but 10% off if ordering more than 10 units. Don't know about the smaller reflectors since I only inquired about the larger ones.

IS ANYONE HERE INTERESTED? HOW MANY ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?

Speak up now because I may be placing the order by next wed. unless Rich has much better prices from his supplier. By the way, before someone suggests or even remotely brings it up, I am not making a cent on this and will actually insist in you paying before ordering and you seing the original receipt when shippend out. Shipping would be split evenly obviously. This is not a club thing either, so don't even bring it up.

I need to know ASAP.

Alberto

Are than any patent lawyers in the club? I heard about Diamond switching suppliers/fabricators due to some legal issues, but I wonder if the LumenArcIIIs are even patented? I know some of the earlier lumenarcs were, but if anyone knows more, please chime in. Any sheet metal fabricators? :O)

Are the 14" reflectors that Rich mentions the smaller ones?  Would they fit inside a canopy over an 18" front to back tank?  I know david m. has one, but he didn't mention the size and the size of the tank he is using it over....

I am using the larger ones, which I think are about 20" square, if not larger.  My hope is to use 3 on a 180 gal tank, the tank is 2' x 2' x 6'.  I think they'll look good enough to be positioned above the tank without any canopy, so at least there will be some open air above the tank.  Little light should escape from the sides.  They come with an arm attachment which I was going to attach to the wall with a hinge so they would be easy to raise.  Even the wife agreed they looked ok from the outside!

hope this info helps.  David

David,

I hate to bother you but is it possible for you give an exact measurement including the height? I have a canopy and VHO lights to consider.

I really appreciate it. :)

Thanks

David

Hi everyone!

The 14" are the smaller reflectors (comparable to the 19"). Diamond had used two fabricators over the past 6-9 months, and what I have heard is that there were slight variations. I used a combination of the larger and smaller reflectors on a large system a few months back, and if I remember correctly the smaller reflector measured 14x14x8. I would not recommend putting them in canopies smaller than 12" in height due to heat issues (if you do not use several fans, etc.). There was a model that had airflow piping through it, but I am not sure if they are still available anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Sales rep: Mac

Airline Hydroponics

Telephone/Fax

Fax Number: 713-521-9282

Telephone Number: (800) 570-7657

In my post in member section, you can see pics and I think there is a website link.  

http://www.wamas.org/cgi-bin....=4;t=48

Compact reflector $75 +11 shipping UPS  

I'll see if I can find time Sunday to post pics of one next to tape so you can see the size of it.