Any issues with running UV return to Phosphate reactor?

TonyInVa

Looking pretty good. So, back up a little though. Did you change spectrum on the bulbs when you changed them? How old were your previous bulbs before they were replaced? Are you using a filter sock on the drain when you scrub? Do you use carbon? I know, I ask a lot of questions, it's ok, you can say it.... :p

Yes I did change spectrum. I was using 3 actinic and 3 10000k. Switched to 2 460nm and 1 420nm and 3 10000k. Bulbs were 6 months old. Just started using carbon when I started using Phoshphate reactor. I dont use a filter sock, but do use a sponge prefilter only when I scrub. I dont feel that you ask aot. I feel that you are trying to help me and need the propper information to do so. So ask away.

OK, here is my best guess.

Adding carbon cleared water up a little so light could penetrate more easily. Since they were new lights, they penetrated even better. You added a carbon source and fueled bacteria growth, the diatoms started to feed off both the nutrients and the added light and "bloomed". They will go away when you take away the food source (you already noticed it by shutting down the lights).

Again, it is just a "best guess" based off the little bit I know about your system. But, it should be noted that adding UV will make your water even clearer and the light will penetrate even more, so you may still have a little way to go with your battle. Or you could choose not to fight it, let it eat and then naturally go away on its own.

OK, here is my best guess.

Adding carbon cleared water up a little so light could penetrate more easily. Since they were new lights, they penetrated even better. You added a carbon source and fueled bacteria growth, the diatoms started to feed off both the nutrients and the added light and "bloomed". They will go away when you take away the food source (you already noticed it by shutting down the lights).

Again, it is just a "best guess" based off the little bit I know about your system. But, it should be noted that adding UV will make your water even clearer and the light will penetrate even more, so you may still have a little way to go with your battle. Or you could choose not to fight it, let it eat and then naturally go away on its own.

I will continue to do water changes. Scrub off grey matter. Whcih is growing much slower each day. And see what happens.

• 1 month later...

I am thinking of doing a reactor--uv sterilizer inline setup as well. I currently have a phosphate reactor with some phosbgone (FF Aquatics)in it. I have a Coralife 9w sterilizer that's been sitting packed up for about 2 years:

http://www.marinedepot.com/uv_ultraviolet_sterilizers_ozonizers_coralife_turbo-twist-ap.html

I don't have any algae problems beyond the typical wiping of the glass every few days, but I'd like to give the UV a shot and see if it will help increase the amount of time I can go between cleaning, and help with overall water clarity. I'm also thinking about adding carbon to the reactor, as I presently don't use it.

Can I get away with one powerhead feeding both the reactor and the sterilizer? Coralife recommends 121 gph for algae control, but I believe the reactor needs somewhere around 80gph?

I would say yes one pump would be fine. I would be careful not to add the carbon and the UV at the same time without watching your photo-period. You could burn the corals if the water gets too clear, to fast.

The slower the flow the better killing ability of the UV. If it is slow enough it will kill protozoans as well as the algae. The UV maker should have two recommended flow rates. One for algae which will be higher and one for protozoan which will be slower.

Sounds good. I was hoping it wasn't the other way around. I'm going to give it a whirl, adding the uv first with no carbon for a few weeks then slowly add the carbon to avoid shock. Thanks for the info.