Powerheads

Guest mikesroth

Guest mikesroth

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering what would be a good size of powerheads for a 29gal tank.  I have a MaxiJet 400 in there and put my Maxijet 1200 (that I had been using to mix water and pump water into the tank), and well I am back to cloudy city. So.... I need to figure what else to put in there. :)

Any suggestions?

The 1200 should be fine. I had a Maxijet 600, 900, and Maximini in my 29 Gallon. You may want to adjust the flow direction so it bounces off the glass. I had one PH in each front corner pointed to middle of the back and 1 behind the rock wall blowing across the back. The sand may swirl for a few days but it should settle out with time.

Chris

Guest mikesroth
Oh it was definitley pointing at a wall... just didnt realize how hard it blowed.  I went out and got a cheapie filter to help out some, I had some really yellow water anyways, so I figured that might help get some of the 'ick' out of the water.

I used to run 3 maxijet 1200's in a 30gallon (3 ft lenght), without any problems.  What is the length of a 29 L (maybe that is what I had?)? If it is too much, try a 900.  Definately need some more flow in there- another option- if you don't have a sump, is to put a mag3 or mag5 on a closed loop split to 2 returns with 3/4" piping.  Will be a lot more gentle flow this way.

Guest mikesroth

The 29 is 30 inches I believe.  I would measure it, but my Tape Measures all seem to go into hiding when I want to measure something :)

Not sure how I would do a Closed loop, do you have a site that has a good example, or know where I can see one?  Seeing always helps me out. :)  I want to eventually put a sump up on the tank, but I will need to break down and buy an overflow for the tank.

Mike,

A closed loop system is nothing more than a single over flow or outbound tube going directly into pump and outflow returning stright into the tank. All your doing in creating more current by circulating the water, nothing more. A mag pump would work great for this and you could use either a single return or put a SCWD on and split the current flow with a Mag5 for example. I'm planning on doing the same to my 90g with either another Mag12 or Mag9.5 soon.

Howard

PS, I like a closed loop over a bunch of PH, because if removes all the clutter in the tank

The 29 is 30 inches I believe.  I would measure it, but my Tape Measures all seem to go into hiding when I want to measure something :)

Not sure how I would do a Closed loop, do you have a site that has a good example, or know where I can see one?  Seeing always helps me out. :)  I want to eventually put a sump up on the tank, but I will need to break down and buy an overflow for the tank.

My AGA 29g tank used for my sump is 30L x 12W x 18H. HTH

Guest mikesroth

Ok, so then I would still need some type of 'Overflow' box?  Or does the MAG suck up the water like a HOT Filter or Skimmer?  

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!!!!

Mike

The beauty of a closed loop is you don't have to worry about a power failure shutting down the system and dumping water everywhere. Add a strainer & a sponge type cover on the end of pipe lowered into the water to your desired depth. This should be below your current overflows, so not to loose suction.

Remember, all your doing in sucking water into one end and return back to the tank on the other.

Just creating current!

Howard

Guest mikesroth

Hmmm, well I might be capable of doing one of those. :D  Although, if anyone has one setup, that could do a Mini-tank tour.... :D

I guess I will go do some research on Closed-Loops....

Guest mikesroth

I knew I something like that before. I just couldn't remember where.  Thanks Tygger..

Do you think that the 'Pump' could be further down? My tank 'just' fits on the stand we have for it. :)  By doing that I'd have to upgrade the pump, correct?

Mike,

IMO, forget all that plumbing, KISS- Keep it simple!

Go to Fischers Hardware off Backlick and Commerce St.

They have all the equipment you need relatively cheap.

You can purchase Clear flexible braided HOSE material for all connections, use PVC to create "U" to go over edge of tank and use a Y at end to double your flow directions. LMK, I can meet up with you and show you my setup or meet you during lunch there and recommend some alternatives.

Using the flexible hosing, eliminates 100% of errors when it comes to hooking up Hard Plumbing. And a whole lot easier.

Howard

Mike,

I think most people have their pumps in their their stands and not "on" the stand. It doesn't really matter where you put it, but the lower you place the pump, the more head room (height) your pump will have to work... therefore you'll get less flow.

Howard,

I'm in the midst of putting my tank together as well. I need to get the right connections and tubings for my AGA Megaflow overflow kit and tubing for my Mag9.5 return pump.

Would you mind meeting me up at Fisher's to help me choose my plumbing? I can bring my AGA overflow kit and Mag9.5 pump.

As soon as I get the plumbing parts together, all I need to do is finish my sump before I can add water.  [nana]

Well that, and to figure out the best way to plumb my ro/di unit. Plumbing is not my forte, the most difficult part is finding the right pieces.  gvl]]

No problem, Just give me a call 703-899-6209

Howard

Keep in mind- the pipe that goes from the tank to the pump needs to have a way to be primed the first time.  This is the reason for that goofy piece that T's up and is capped.  You fill it with water initially then put the cap on.

You can put the pump in the stand because in a closed loop system the extra height doesn't add extra head. The only head pressure comes from the elbows and pipe friction.

Height only adds head in an open loop system.

Chris