Why I do not like stealth heaters

extreme_tooth_decay

One good point in BeanAnimal's article was to use several smaller heaters as opposed to a single large one. You get redundancy and the chances of all of them failing is smaller. If one gets stuck ON it won't cook your tank, and if it fails completely you will notice a lower temp but nothing so low as to kill livestock.

One good point in BeanAnimal's article was to use several smaller heaters as opposed to a single large one. You get redundancy and the chances of all of them failing is smaller. If one gets stuck ON it won't cook your tank, and if it fails completely you will notice a lower temp but nothing so low as to kill livestock.

I suppose if it fails in the "shocking my tank" way that most of the folks above were posting about re: their stealth heaters, this is increasing your chances of shocking your tank inhabitants (and yourself)

Of course, the risk of this can be greatly minimized by proper installation, which we obviously all do not do, or we wouldn't have so many "I got shocked" stories...the risk can also be greatly minimized by using heaters which have greatly lower number of these reports (ie, stay away from those electo-brain-zappers stealths).

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose if it fails in the "shocking my tank" way that most of the folks above were posting about re: their stealth heaters, this is increasing your chances of shocking your tank inhabitants (and yourself)

Even if the stealths do electrocute you that doesnt mean it will hurt your livestock, the only way for it to shock them is if it is somehow touching the ground and glass is not conductive.

Ive had 2 stealth heaters shock me and 4 of them fail, though those were probably just from old age. I've had an original ebo-jager since before I even started this hobby, my aunt gave it to me after running a few years in her tank and she probably got it from the guy who sold her the tank. Now I am running two 250w ehiem jager heaters and my original 250w ebo jager, I've only had them for a little while but theve worked well for me so far, but I had stealths fail earlier than that.

Ok so maybe eheim jagers arent as good as ebo jagers, but they are way better than stealths.

Edited by fosterspike