Newbie needs help with equipment decision

Guest mmcaleer

Guest mmcaleer

All,

I am new to WAMAS and I have decided to take the plunge and start a salt tank.  I have a 55 gallon (would like a larger one if anyone has one to sell) and want to start a fish and live rock only tank.  I would prefer to have the equipment (skimmer) under the tank in a sump.

1st.  What brand skimmers are a reasonable buy (~$150) and are worth the money?  I have been looking at the AquaC Urchin for in sump use.  Used would be OK.

2nd.  Does anyone have a sump to sell?  Or, should I purchase one or use a 10 gallon tank from Walmart?  Also, should I use bioballs in the sump or not?

Unfortunately I cannot make the meeting this weekend, I will be out of town.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Gainesville, VA

1st.  What brand skimmers are a reasonable buy (~$150) and are worth the money?  I have been looking at the AquaC Urchin for in sump use.  Used would be OK.

Tough in that price range & for anything over a 55. As a general rule you can cut the rated performance of a skimmer in 1/2 (i.e. rated for 300 = 150 actual). Used is a good idea, can certainly save you a few buck. The AquaC is a good skimmer for the price & size tank you mentioned.

2nd.  Does anyone have a sump to sell?  Or, should I purchase one or use a 10 gallon tank from Walmart?  Also, should I use bioballs in the sump or not?

A DIY sump from a tank is certainly an economical approach, if you've done any web searching you'll know they ain't cheap. With a FOWLR tank you can run the bio-balls, just be advised that you'll need to remove them if you decide to add corals (they can be a nitrate factory). I'd skip them, add more skimmer & some mechanical filtration (carbon etc. in the sump) - that way you won't have to remove them later. IF you decide to purchase a sump check Barr Aquatic - he can help you determine the size needed for the expected flow.

would like a larger one

Get the biggest one you can now, you'll only want to upgrade later anyway  :laugh:

I have a 30 custom sump (acrylic) with an ER5-3 id say get the ER and spend another 100 dallors, but i cant talk about money because i dont have a job, i got the skimmer for Christmas. I was looking at the urchin but then decided that ER was better because of the way that the bubbles meet the water if i remeber correctly the urchin doesnt have a lot of water volume, as does the ER and that i feel can make a big difference.  Also you can ajust the riser pipe to make the skimate dry or wet depending on your prefierence.  

Robert

The best article I have ever read on reef keeping is this one. Insiders guide to reef keeping, Eric Borneman in last months issue of reef keeping at Reef Central. The article can be located here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-02/eb/index.htm

I have an Aqua C and am happy but Reef creations makes a knock off that is easily as good and as inexpesive a price as you will find.

I concur on the sump size, buy as large as you can fit- I bought an inexpensive 50g breeder tank on sale and made it into a sump using DYI ideas easily avialable on the webb- went to many sites before I had my ideas straight to make it a combigned sump and refuge.

My last piece of advice is a common mantra in reef keeping- Nothing good happens fast. Take your time in setting up and you will save a lot of money in the long run. peices of equpment come on sale from time to time including entire 120g plus systems fish LR and all. If you have more time than money take it slow. A small sytem now for collecting and grow out can be what starts your larger system. And no matter what you say about not wanting to keep corals- softies will become LPS and then some one gives you that first peice of digitata and you are on the path to better lights, more volume, filtration, and an asundry of reactors. But it is a learning curve that is not so steep after the first few months, and only gets as technical as you desire it to be. Would that a fish only tank would do it for me- but I stopped marine keeping at the tail end of under gravel filter days, when fish only was all you could do. A natural looking reef is a challenge that is now available in even a Nano cube with some effort and understanding of its limits.

Enjoy,

Lee

First, get a 75 or 90.  The extra 6 inches of front/back width is absolutely critical (I have had my 55 up for 17 years, and it is a big pain :angry: )

Second, make your own sump.  I make one out of a 20 gal long tank.  It was easy: a little florescent lighting grid, some pieces of acrylic and some silicon chalking.  I use a eheim 1060 for the return (very quiet, submersible, lasts for ever, and ok water volume) for the water return with some plactic tubing from HD.  

I am not a big skimmer type, but the AquaC stuff has a good rep.  FWIW...

Guest Nate and Roshni

I too bought a 55g and quickly learned that i shouldve spent the extra cash for a 75g. It can make a world of difference when aquascaping the live rock!

I also started out with a 10g DIY sump. Two weeks later I was already buying a 20L to replace it! Now one half of the sump is a refugium. Just keeping up with evaporation on a 10g sump is enough to upgrade. If you want to learn more about sumps and refugiums check out Melev's site. He has some good info, tips and designs. Good luck!

Guest mmcaleer

****UPDATE*****

I broke down a bought a 90 gallon tank and had it drilled.  I should have it in about a week.  I have decided to use my 55 gallon for a sump/refugium.  For a return pump I bought a Mag-Drive 1800 that will split and provide a return to each side of the tank.  I also bought four Maxi-Jet MP-1220 power heads.  For lights I have 2 - 250w 6500k Mh lights and plan on buying some actinics.

That's what I have so far.

Mike

Mike,

That sounds like a good start.

One question. Why are you starting with 6500K MH? If you are planning to keep any SPS or colorful zoos or LPS, then I would suggest going with 10K bulbs with the actinics for the color. If you already bought the bulbs then I guess you may have to go with it. You will get good growth with good colors with 10Ks. But if you want faster growth then stick with the 6500K bulbs.

Also, I would suggest you visit many people with reef system before and after you set yours up.

Just some suggestions.   :)

Guest mmcaleer

I got a great deal on the balasts and got the 6500k bulbs dirt cheap.  They were less than three months used. Could not pass them up.

Many thanks to everyone who is helping me get my first system up and running the right way.

Mike

• 1 month later...
Guest mmcaleer

**** NEW UPDATE *****

The tank is up and running great!  My first reef tank.

90 gallon main - drilled in the top back two times.

55 gallon sump (also doubling as a refuge temporarily)

Looking for the right refugium to add now

Mag 18 split to two returns

2 - MaxiJet 1200's

2 - 250w 10k MH

Plan to add 2 actinics

MyReefCreations MR-2 Skimmer

Milwaukee PH/C02 controller

5 Gallon bucket with I.V. setup as a top-off to drip limewater

175lbs. of Fiji LR and 120lbs. LS

I got my LR cheap! $1.75/lb encrusted with coraline and hard corals.  The guy was moving and need to get rid of it.

One wine bubble tip anemone

6 blue/green chromis (test)

2 emerald crabs

1 arrow crab

6 red legged hermits

6 blue legged hermits

12 snails

brittle star

LPS

SPS

pollups

Xenia

Mushrooms

Tomorrow I plan to add 2 clowns and a yellow gobie (given to me free) and a Yellow Tang

Things are going great (knock on wood)

I will post pictures as soon as I get around to it and figure it out.

Mike

Have you started doing water tests?  Might want to wait a bit until adding any more fish to make sure the tank has cycled through.  How are you planning to supliment calcium and alkalinity back into the system?  Did you get an RO water filter for makeup water?  Not sure on your question about the refugium.  You can make one in the sump.  Would require a little bit of acrylic to section it off.  Not sure what type of anenome you have listed above.  Is it a rose colored e. quadricolor that host clowns, or is it a carribean condilyctus anenome?  Also, I take it you got all the coral with the live rock- I would really slow things down a bit before any more additions, as you are still getting your hands wet.  Without a skimmer, I'd be doing 25% water changes weekly for the next month at least.  Mix the water for several days before doing the water changes, and throw an extra heater in there to bring it up to temp.  Did you put sand in the bottom of the tank- or is it barebottom?  If you put sand in, you should score some live sand from a couple tanks to seed it with critters.

Guest mmcaleer

The 90 gallon tank was jump started with 60 gallons of cycled water from another established tank.  LR was already cured.  All water tests are zero. PH is 8.3  Calcium suppliment is done with a limewater drip (5 gallon bucket with an I.V. dripper) which also tops off the system.  My sump is doubling as the refugium as of now but I am planning on adding a separate refuge.  I do have a skimmer on the system now and it is working great.  I currently have about 120lbs of sand in the tank which turns out to be 3-4 inches.  I have a 75gpd RO/DI system that puts out 0 PPM DI.  I keep a garbage can with 30 gallons of DI water (auto-filling) and another for the salt mix water.

Mike

Well- those are a few important details you left out :)  sounds like the transition went well then!  Congrats and enjoy.

sounds like the transition went well then!  Congrats and enjoy.

Guest mmcaleer
Thanks.  Everyone has been extremely helpful on this board.  Without the help I would have purchased all the wrong equipment and had a very hard time establishing a reef system

Guest mmcaleer

My next step is growing my corals.  There I will need help.  I went from wanting only FOLR to wanting a full blown LPS tank.  Everyone said it would happen.

Mike

You have the lights, now you need the food and some patience!  See the foodmaking threads and "Michael's DIY coral and fish food" for some IDEAS on making your own blends.  We will be making some in July at our get together (TBA).  Start slow on the feeding and gradually ramp up.  Gives the system time to adapt.

Guest mmcaleer

Thanks Michael. I am very interested in the homemade food.  Let me know when it is going to take place.

Mike

Guest mmcaleer

By the way,  the anemone is a large Rose Bubble Tip.  It is about 6" in diameter.  

I was given a clown yesterday and when I put him in my tank he shot right into the anemone.  He loves it.  I thought it would take time before the clown would take to the anemone.  I found out that the fish used to host an anemone about three years back but the previous owners had to move him into a smaller tank without an anemone.  When they gave him to me yesterday he took right to my anemone.  My kids love him.

Mike

Guest mmcaleer

Though you all might like to see some pics of my tank now that it up and running.

Tank.jpg

And my new addition

Clown1.jpg

Mike

Hey, this tank is on the Glass cages website!!!  How were they?  I am thinking about getting my next tank from them.

You went with a drilled back instead of the bottom, I was thinking the same thing.  Why did you go that way? Happy with it?  Did you have a good time buying from them?

Looking very nice.  Feed the anenome a couple times a week.  I hand feed mine with a chunk of raw shrimp (shell removed) soaked in a couple drops of selcon.  During feeding that tank, I always squirt food in that general area to make sure it is getting enough to eat.  It is a small tank though (dedicated to some LPS, the clowns, and anenomes.  And nice photos.  If you are a paid member, you should setup a gallery for yourself- you take some nice photos!

Guest mmcaleer

Thanks MichaelG,

I just requested my login to the Gallery so I can put more pictures up there.  I am also in the progress of getting my own website up with photos and sort of a diary of the progress.

Thanks for the feeding information.  I forgot about the selcon,  I have heard about it before but I am not familiar with it.  Is it vitamins for the fish?

I am currently trying to decide on my refuge configuration.  Do I add another tank or keep my macro algae and substrate in the sump?  If I keep it in the sump (currently a 55 gal) I need to add acrylic baffles so the substrate and macro doesn't get to the submerged pump.

** GRAV **

Yes, this is the same tank that is on http://www.glasscages.com I bought my tank about two months back.  His prices are very reasonable and he delivers locally.  The 90 gallon with two 2 1/2" bulkheads drilled and installed and delivered to Manassas was only $205.  They are very friendly and very helpfull.  I have recommended them to others who wanted a tank at a reasonable price.  If you get a tank order in today (06/14/2004) it will be delivered on June 26th to Manassas otherwise I think the next delivery to Manassas is in August.  They have a show schedule on their website of where they deliver.

The reason I went with the rear of the tank drilled vs. a reef tank setup was for the space and the security.  The space issue was that the reef setup takes away a large area in the corner of the tank that I did not want to lose.  The safety issue was if anything happened to the reef overflow in the tank I would have 90 gallons of water on my floor.  Not that it would happen but I figure this is more secure. With the tank drilled on the back, I am only drawing about a half inch of water so if I loose power only a half inch drains to my sump and there is really no point of failure.  I like it very much.

Mike

Selcon is a mix of some vitamins and lipids.  Store it in the fridge to prolong shelflife.  Can be found at many mail order places- I don't know about locally.

Yes, you will need to baffle the sump- how much is sequesterd off is dependant on how much open space you need in the sump.  i.e. is the skimmer in the sump, submerged return pumps, heater, etc.  You definately want to make sure sand and algae do not have access to the pump, or you will find yourself cleaning it frequently.  I recommend a strainer on the pump intake as well- won't catch sand, but will catch algae fronds.