green water

packman9111

just returned from vacation to find my tank so green that i can't tell who's alive and who's not. i made the mistake in the begining of using tap. system's been going for about a month and tank has cycled. Amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0 (which suprised me), PH around 8.2. I haven't tested other params. the tank is 26g BF, 45lbs fiji LR fm Marine Depot Live and assortment of snails, herms and one blue damsel. Started w/seaclone which was pulling lots of junk, but upgraded to remora which just added before leaving for vacation. Both skimmers were running while I was gone. Also just invested in RO and only had a chance to make one 3-4g change with RO water before I left. I had ditom when I left and knew the cleaning crew were having trouble keeping up. Made another 3-4g WC when I got home and mixed about 8g more water for tomorrow and plan to only run the lights for a couple of hours tomorrow. Is there anything else I should be doing? BTW not that it really matters, but only the remora is running now.

any help appreciated - rick

Sounds like you are on the right track for straightening things out.  Can you post up you nitrate and phosphate levels in the tank.  Running a phosphate remover might be useful- use phosban or ROWaphos.

What lighting do you have?  Direct sunlight hit the tank?

No direct sunlight. Light is 130w Dual daylight 16,700k/10,000k // Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm by Current. Did about 50% WC today and will do again tomorrow. Nitrate is near 0 but will check phosphate later. Tks.

I would avoid massive water changes. Sometimes they can be part of the problem.

This is just part of the cycle, keep the lights down (8 hrs a day) clean the filters and just let it take time.

Funny story, this has NOTHING to do with you... something just reminded me.  I was once called to help my Boss's girl friends FW tank.  She had paid someone to set up a 180 in her office and a month in was having a single cell alge bloom.  When I asked how long the lights were on she said: "24 / 7"

She was scary, yer gonna be fine.

Phil

The goal of the massive wc is to remove all non-RO water. Think the tap water I was using before the RO could still be providing nutrients for the algae. Thanks again Rick