SPS tank

gudgreef

I just bought a 90g RR tank from a guy in NC. I won't be picking it up for a month or two, so in the meantime I wanted to start getting the pumps and other equipment together. Hopefully I can get the "right" equipment to start and not have to replace everything when it proves inadequate. It is going to be mainly SPS so I know I will need more current and circulation than my current tank that I just "frankensteined" together with the pumps and powerheads I had sitting around. I'd appreciate any input on

1-skimmer type

2-size sump

3-type and size of pumps, powerheads

misc- seaswirls? wavemakers?

Thanks

tom

Get a couple pumps.  The bluelines from Champion look pretty good and are affordable.  I like to return water to more than one side of the tank.  A sea-swirl will work nicely here- I have become a big fan of them since I installed one a couple months ago.  You can either run it off a dedicated pump or split a main return.  I also like the Tunze powerheads, but they are expensive.  Skimmers- lots to choose from here.  The "becket type" work really well, drawback is they need strong pumps.  AquaC uses a midrange pump, and are pretty good.  Many have started using the GSM type skimmers (euro reefs or the ones Jeff's exotic's sells- Southbay), lots of knockoffs out there- but they all are designed the same and AFAIK use the same pumps.  They use a special pump.  Some skimmers can be run outside of the sump, others must be placed in the sump.  For a tank that size, I would not get a hang on type skimmer.

Sump size- if it is going under the stand, you are limited by space.  Will need room for external pumps (check pump sizes when you decide on those).  Problem with submersible pumps is they put all the heat into the water.  Make the sump as high as possible while still allowing you to get your skimmer out for cleaning.

What are your plans for lights?

Gen-x mak 4 is a lot of pump for the money.  I have one on each of my tanks (125 & 120)  The one of the 125 is 3.5 year old, running 24/7 365 & never a problem.  

Skimmer - come to symposium - in raffle will be a My Reef Creations MR2 & 2 $75 gift certs from them.  Trying to get some others if euro-reef will ever respond back to me.  Sounds like you have time to wait and see if you win prizes since you said you had 1-2 months until you get tank.  Euro-reef is real simple to operate.  They cost more up front, but take less electric to operate.  I have aerofoamer on my 125 (becket style) and euro-reef on my 120.  Both work well.  

Circulation - should be sea-swirl in symposium raffle too. :D  

Start watching for sale adds here and on RC and you might find a lot of used parts you need cheap.

Guest Andrew
If I had to do it all over again, I would spend the extra money for a Tunze powerhead with controller.  I believe they use less wattage than any pump you could buy of equal flow.

Thanks for the input. :) I was going to put 2x250MH with 2 actinic VHO(110w) over it. Some of those Tunze powerheads cost more than I paid for the tank:laugh: ! What size (gph) on those pumps suggested? Thanks

Tom

I would get the 7200's- pump up to 960gph from what i recall.  

Mak4's run around 1200gph from memory.

Go to the champion lighting website.  They have a great pump comparison table that lets you look at all of it together.

For a becket type skimmer, you would definately want a pressure rated pump, for main return, you can get more flow with a non-pressure rated pump.

Another pump frequently used with high regards is Iwaki, though they cost a bit more than the GenX pumps or the bluelines (blueline was started by a former Iwaki guy).

Michael