Brown Algae Invasion

rhang

Hello All

I just got my 75g fowlr tank all setup. It's been running for about two weeks. The brown algae has arrived. Can someone share some insight into how I can either eliminate or control these diatoms.

System Profile

Duration: Running for two weeks

Substrate: 50lb live rock + 3in live sand bed

Lighting: 1 54w marine glo + 1 54w power glo bulbs

Water: dechlorinated tap + Instant Ocean salt

Filter: Octopus 200 skimmer

Live Stock: 4 chromis + 1 flaming angel (for now)

A 15% water change was done a couple of days ago. I have strong indicator that the lighting is contributing to the brown algae's growth. It seems that only on top surfaces of the live rock where light hits directly do I see the brown algae.

I have done some research and evidently not good enough. Short of using RO/DI and/or mangrove plants in the refugium, how can I deal with this brown algae outbreak in a cost effective way.

Please help me if you can. Thanks.

-Rey

Cut down on light cycle, not sure how long your lights are on...

Clean-up crew?

Chemipure Elite has done me well since I also use tap water. I've seen agruments for/against using it, but if you're not using RO/DI I would use it. I just removed mine after 6 months of use to see how my tank reacts.

Good Luck!

Sounds like a diatom bloom, which normally happens just about this time in a new tank. In my experience, it will die back soon. Be prepared for some cyano and possibly green hair algae after that. Just the tank settling down.

If you continue to use tap water, you will be adding nutrients, and should expect some issues, especially with cyanobacteria (aka red slime). Adding a refugium with macroalgae (probably more effective than mangroves) can help keep nutrients down somewhat.

A UV Sterilizer will help keep the algae under control but cutting back on the lights is probably the quickest and cheapest solution.

It could be a bacteria also. Diatoms and bacteria will wipe off with a brush very easily. Doing this and skimming them out of your system will help export the excess nutrients. Keep your feeding to a minimum will also help. Installing a filter bag will help export the excess organic matter along with running GAC. :)

If you are using dechlorinated tap water you could be introducing a lot of silica, which will encourage diatom growth. Also tap water can contain high levels of copper, nitrate, phosphate and other undesirable heavy metals. I would save up for a RODI system, which is worth the investment IMHO. ;)

Further imfromation & details can be found in these articles:

Tap Water in Reef Aquaria

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/chem.htm

Silica in a Reef Tank

http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/feature.htm

Reverse Osmosis/Deionization Systems to Purify Tap Water for Reef Aquaria

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.htm

The

the aforementioned articles are good reads. don't cut the lights, just put them on a timer for a reasonable amount of time. UV is good for keeping fish parasites in check but will do nothing to stop the growth of diatoms. R/O will help by eliminating excess nutrients from the water.

Your tank is only 2 weeks new. It seems to be right on track for diatom bloom. Diatom blooms are a normal part of the cycle. They will go away by themselves. I would not have changed the water. I've waited until after the full cycle 4-8 weeks before i did water changes. After the diatoms go away the next thing you might see are loads of copepods on the glass.

Hello All

I just got my 75g fowlr tank all setup. It's been running for about two weeks. The brown algae has arrived. Can someone share some insight into how I can either eliminate or control these diatoms.

System Profile

Duration: Running for two weeks

Substrate: 50lb live rock + 3in live sand bed

Lighting: 1 54w marine glo + 1 54w power glo bulbs

Water: dechlorinated tap + Instant Ocean salt

Filter: Octopus 200 skimmer

Live Stock: 4 chromis + 1 flaming angel (for now)

A 15% water change was done a couple of days ago. I have strong indicator that the lighting is contributing to the brown algae's growth. It seems that only on top surfaces of the live rock where light hits directly do I see the brown algae.

I have done some research and evidently not good enough. Short of using RO/DI and/or mangrove plants in the refugium, how can I deal with this brown algae outbreak in a cost effective way.

Please help me if you can. Thanks.

-Rey