Steve's 75G mixed reef

This is pretty much an intro of myself and what I'm attempting to do.

My name is Steve and it has been many years since having a tank set up, so basically we are talking about noob city here folks :tongue:

The setup is 75 gallons and is still being tinkered with equipment wise and still am not sure of how it should look when everything grows in. Only 4 frags are in final resting places, with the rest loose and waiting for me to finally figure out where they would look nice.

3 weeks ago a corner of my living room looked like

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

It's a very basic setup with no fancy equipment. Almost everything was purchased through CL and RC before they got strict on the selling forum requirements.

The original owner of the tank had exposed overflow pipes in the middle of the tank. I was going to try and put in an overflow chamber with 2 dursos, but the Tenecor bracing made it impossible to get access to the overflow pipes for maintenance. Ended up using the 2 holes for a closed loop of sorts. There is one 1ft pipe elbowed out of the bulkhead that has an end cap and had tons of small holes drilled in about 6 rows running the length of the pipe. The second bulkhead has a T pipe coming out of it and runs the full length behind the live rock. There is a single row of 1/4 inch holes that run the front side of each T'd pipe section and is running at about 1000gph. I figured this way no junk could build up in the rock work.

Next put in a 1 1/2 bulkhead for an over flow and made my own ghetto overflow pipe...will probably get changed out at some point.

Picture034.jpg

Picture033.jpg

For the return i am using one of the wave devices that Bruce(bbyatv)makes.

Picture032.jpg

It works very well for making a wave action in the tank.

16 days ago water/rock/sand went in.

IMG_0071.jpg

My rock work isn't that impressive, but I like how half of the rock was in slab form and made some nice platforms to mount corals.

The rock was coming out of an established tank, so there wasn't much of a cycle. The only problem was with me running MH lighting too soon and getting some hair algae, but that is almost all gone now.

Here is the current tank shot.

Picture001.jpg

Will post more pics later.

Thanks for looking :)

Steve

Edited by Noobalicious