Finding Nemo..literaly...

Guest x2minusblndfold

Guest x2minusblndfold
Ok, some of you problie remember my posts about my damsel, and then my 3 clown fish..well the reason i got the clownfish in the first place was becuz i (literaly) lost my damsel..seriosly, like i found no dead damsel, and b4 hand the fish showed NO signs of stress..a week ago, the same thing happened to 1 of my 3 new clownfish..and just now, i went to look in the tank...and theres just 1...1 clown fish...i looked in every possible little hiding place. Has nebody ever had this problem???? :( [/b]

Did you check overflows, the floor and so forth?  I had a clown die once and it wasn't terribly hard to find.  It was covered with some clean up critters, but there nonetheless.  Sounds fishy to me... pun intended.  If it truly disappeared without a trace in a days time, something had to eat it or at least that's what I think.  What kind of cleanup crew do you have?

what other tank inhabitants are in there- more specifically- do you have a green brittle starfish?

Guest reeffoto
I was going to ask the same thing as Michael.  A green brittle star wiped out a friends tank.

mantis shrimp?

- Sounds like you are looking often at the tank, but I have heard from people that their fish disolve rather fast in salt water once a fish dies.  Outside chance this is happening, or it gets back in rock and you don't see it and then it dies & melts.

Guest va_reefman

Did you check in the sump?  It could be in there too if you don't have a strainer on your tank.

OR...

call around in down under and tell him to go home... :) .  Sorry couldn't helped it.

John

Guest DANMOQUIN
mantis shrimp?

exactly what I was thinking. You can never see them either because they come out at night. They do make traps for these though.

Do you have strainers on your power head intakes. I have a

hagen 802. This has a sunk in strainer. I lost a weak clown

when it got sucked in and stayed sucked up for a while. It will

stay there until it decomposes and at which point, might get

into the pump and get shredded.

-krish

Guest x2minusblndfold

To answer Xeon's Q..My clean up crew involves about 8 hermits, one blueleg hermit (a little on the large side), and a large arrow crab (about the size of a tennis ball).

I heard about Mantis shrimp and how they can just grown quite big in your tank living inside the live rock..but how would a mantis shrimp just get in the tank??

No i do not have a green brittle starfish

For Gatortailale:: After the fish disapeared, i moved around the live rock to see if he did die underneath or something, but i found nothing

On my powerheads, i do have this catching sponge covering the open valve

lol go down under and tell him to go home??? Ill make sure he fallows the East Australian Current and hitchhike w/ 150 yr old turtles! :laugh:

Guest x2minusblndfold

Popping sounds?? i dont think so..ill try to listen up a lil bit tonight.

Just to let you all know, my last clown out of the 3 clown fish i had has vanished w/ out a trace today..just like the other ones..:(

Sorry to hear about the loses.

Are you sure your anemone are not eating them?  Have they regurgitated and messy residue lately?

For what it is worth:

Most night time "clicking" sounds can be attributed to snails shaking other snails and hermits off their shells against the glass.  On very rare occasions pistol shrimp that have come in on live rock purchases may be the night time noisemaker.

Odontodactylus scyllarus is one of the few mantis shrimp that is active at night.  Not your typical live rock hitchhiker.

Most hitch hiker Gonodactylus and Neogondactylus (mantis shrimp) are dawn and dusk hunters.  Night time and mid day they will try to close they entrance to the rock or burrow.  They do this well enough that their presence is undetectable at these times.

Even after years in captivity, my 3 mantis are still effectively dawn and dusk cycled.

Please share some information on the source of your live rock.  If necessary, there are a few tricks with club soda that will get a mantis out of a rock ;>)

Guest x2minusblndfold
Hey, sry it took me soo long to reply..iv been trying to figure out where my rock came from..Its Fiji live rock from Walt-Smith

My rock came transshipped from Walt Smith directly.  It contained several pistol and mantis shrimp.  They can be very small and you'd be surprised the holes they can fit in.  YOu may not have seen the holes 'cause they may have pulled as shell or small rock in to cover it.  Mine have preyed mainly on my snails and crabs.  Look for a pile of old (or newly vacated) shells.  That would be a good indication of a burrow.  The snapping/popping from mantis and pistols and very different from snails and crabs bumping the glass.  There is also somewhat of a rhythm to the mantis/pistol snapping vs. an erratic tapping.  

I also found a couple 1-2" stone crabs in my rock.  I didn't find them for almost 2 years (and hundreds of snails and hermits later).

Happy hunting.

mc

Guest x2minusblndfold

hmm what are the odds of the mantis shrimp being capable to eat my fish?? is it a rare thing or does it happen all the time??

As far as live rock, is there better kinds than others?