Good LFS In My Area?

saltydad

While not new to the hobby, and not new to the area (was born here), I started with reefs while in NY. Now that I'm back in the area, I'm looking for good LFS. I'm in the Wheaton/Silver Spring area. Thanks for the help!

Guest tgallo

were in ny did you live , im from westchester myself.

there are no good local stores , the reef tank in va is a good one for sps and soft corals also exotic aquatics in baltimore.

then you have tropical lagoon in silver spring on georgia ave, kinda scary place but they have some soft corals.

then theres congressional aquarium in rockville, corals stink there but they have decent fish, there prices on dry goods are insane. i only go there when i need instant ocean salt mix, 50lb bag for$ 9.99 best price around.

Welcome back to the area.

I too am from NY. I lived in Bronx, Queens, Staten Island.

Tony is right. There are no good LFS around here. They are all about 30-60 minutes from here.

Addition to what Tony mentioned, I would like to add to, the Roozens which is in Camp Spring and the Aquarium Center in Baltimore.

I live in Adelphi which is not too far from where you are. Stop by anytime.

Guest tgallo
thanks david i forgot about roozens nursery, dont ask me how but they have a great selection of fish, its hit or miss with the corals.

Thanks all; its really discouraging to hear about the dearth of good LFS in the area.I lived in Manhattan for 8 years, then moved to Ossining in Westchester in 1980. First got into reefs (as opposed to fish-only) due to the forum on Compuserve, which led to a group of reefers. We informally met and would get together to order livestock, let each other know when there was a good buy at a LF, and be available to help out as needed with new setups, moves, catastrophes<g>, etc.. It was a great group; include such "notables" as Bob Stark, owner of ESV Co., and Greg Scheimer, whose pieces have appeared on many publications.

I will be setting up again in future; would love to take you up on seeing your tanks sometime.

Howard

Thanks all; its really discouraging to hear about the dearth of good LFS in the area.I lived in Manhattan for 8 years, then moved to Ossining in Westchester in 1980. First got into reefs (as opposed to fish-only) due to the forum on Compuserve, which led to a group of reefers. We informally met and would get together to order livestock, let each other know when there was a good buy at a LF, and be available to help out as needed with new setups, moves, catastrophes<g>, etc.. It was a great group; include such "notables" as Bob Stark, owner of ESV Co., and Greg Scheimer, whose pieces have appeared on many publications.

I will be setting up again in future; would love to take you up on seeing your tanks sometime.

Howard

Except for fish and live rock, WAMAS fills most of the needs you describe exceptionally well.  Our members share lots and we definately go through all the fun you described in your prior exprience in Ossining.

Our meetings are quite well attended and lots of trading of coral fragments, methodologies, system experiences.  I use the Internet for most dry goods orders, unless I happen to be by an LFS and they have what I need at a price I'm comfortable with.

Hope to meet you at our winter meeting!

steve

Guest tgallo
your local to me howard and if your free one weekend give me a call and come on by 240 832 1364, tony.

Tony-

Thanks! Will do.

All- I'd like to try to make the winter meeting. Don't have transportation now. Anyone my way that I could hitch a ride with? I'm in Kemp Mill area.

Howard