recolonizing dead duncan heads

astroboy

Greetings all,

In a cluster of duncans, I lost about half the heads. New tissue is growing into the dead heads and in a few weeks I expect each head in the

cluster will have a live duncan growing in it.

On another cluster I lost everything, and since there's no living duncans in physical contact with it it's remained dead.

I was wondering if I'd have any luck snipping off a half or a third of a live duncan and attaching it to the dead cluster. Does anyone have any experience whether the tissue would survive and grow?

Thanks,

Mark

I don't think it will recolonize a fully dead skeleton, except maybe to encrust onto it a little bit. There has to be tissue beneath the head or inside the branch. They will rebound from some very bad injuries though, I have one mini colony with 5 or 6 fully dead heads that grew back from the tissue below which is now 15-20 heads. They seemed to grow back from the inside out, almost like some of the tissue came up through the branch into the bottom of the corallite.

I did not realize they will regrow from the dead head. I assumed it was nearly dead head with no tissue visible and regrew a new head from that. Never heard of this. I've cut heads to form new colonies, most of everyones came this way I assume, and know it does not take much tissue as George mentioned to restart a new head.