Macro Algae eaters

michaelg

Looking for some suggestions.  Having some stuff come in pretty heavy (small grape calerpa and feather calerpa mostly the problem) in the new tank and need something to gobble it up.  The tank is an SPS dominated 58 gallon.  There is a mimic tang in there already, but he won't touch it.  Tang not an option.  There is a blenny in there, so putting an algae blenny would be real risky.  Will be adding a small pair of p fridmani's soon.  Other inverts that might go to town on it or fish I may have overlooked?

A rabbit fish is always an option, but they will get big in time like the tang. They are a hit and miss too. I have some bryopsis coming outa nd so I got a foxface rabbit fish on recommendation from people in RC. Never touched it. Got another type of rabbit fish and he not only did not touch it, but he ate every single mushroom in my tank. 2 Rabbit fish later, I still ahve bryopsis coming out of my ears!!!!!!!!!!

David:

Thanks for the offer. I do have a few of them and they do eat it I think. The problem is this stuff grows 10X faster than they can eat it. I would have to add at least 50 of them to amke any significant difference and not only is price prohibitive, bu they are dummer than a brick. Is as if they had a magnet for pump intakes. Mine head for them like cult followers!!! :D

An option that was thrown out to me over on RC was a long spined urchin.  Anyone try one of these in a small tank (yes I still consider my tank small compared to all of you swimming pool owners).

Urchins are excellent hair algae eaters.  I had several years back.  They are really cool to watch, as well.

No idea how they would be toward corals.  I do not think they would eat them, but they might knock stuff over

Alberto,

You are welcome to mine and Robie has few more. Maybe he will lend you his too. :) I forgot where Robie got his from but they were 6 dollars a piece where he got his.

I guess you are going to have to put a fine strainer or sponge or something like that on your intakes till the bryopsis problem is gone.

David

Guest yrachmael

Heck, I'm trying to grow that stuff !  Actually, between my Sailfin, Yellow and Blue tangs I couldn't keep that stuff in my main tank before they'd devour it.  My Idol loves it too when they pull it into smaller pieces!

Some of that stuff you just have to pull up by hand, No? ???

Yeah- the hand pulling is what I'm trying to avoid.  I cleared 1 small rock the other night, but some of them I can't take out- and pulling it in the tank seems to help it spread!  Seems like I just might need to bear with it though.

Michael,

You are going to have to go with a tang. Hand picking is for the birds. Besides, you are not going to be able to keep up, especially with CO2 going into your system.

You know what happened with my brown macro. I ended up taking all of rocks with it out.

David

David,

If I understand the origin of this thread properly, any discussion of T. crispada (lettuce leaf, Brysopsis-eating) "nudibranchs" being of any use is a moot point.

We got the brypsis-eating "nudibranchs" (Tridachia crispata) that we gave you and Robie at Carolina Biological.  With shipping they came to a little under $8. I had a little difficulty finding someone there who knew what I was talking about until I found a Marine Biologist there who is fantastic.  If you  ever need to talk to someone there, I can give you her information.

The sea slugs (I don't think that they are nudibranchs) worked for us with the Bryopsis (along with plucking with tweezers), but did not show any interest in other algae. That is why we gave them away.  Our Bryopsis situation was cleared up and we didn't want them to starve.

yrachmael,

How long have been keeping a Moorish Idol?  I heard that they are very difficult to keep.  Is it in a reef tank?  I have always wanted one, but I have been to chicken to try one.