Solid Vodka

stratos21ss

For those that are into carbon dosing:

http://www.reefinterests.com/content/view/18/36/

This looks like a good idea once it is worked out and tested. It's supposed to maintain the carbon source to be only within the pellets (you run them in a fluidized reactor) and thus negates the biofilm and cyano outbreaks that can occur on static surfaces when dosing liquid forms of carbon tank wide.

The beads are a polymer that are not water soluble so they wont dissolve in high water flow..bacteria consume the carbon pellets until they are gone.

My question would be how is the rate of consumption regulated and how it relates to N and P levels (just by the availability of nitrogen and phosphate?). If this can be tuned and regulated it might correct some of the issues with carbon dosing, not to mention remove the need to dose everyday.

Very interesting. The un-exactness of dosing carbon is why I stopped shortly after I started out of fear of crashing my tank.

From what I gather it looks to be solely based on volume alone.

0.5-1 liter of pellets per 500 liter of system volume, and adding 100 ml of pellets every 3-6 months.

Kind of sounds like zeolites to me however this dissolves over time.

BTW, How is your doser working out for you? Anything to report, good or bad?

From what I gather it looks to be solely based on volume alone.

0.5-1 liter of pellets per 500 liter of system volume, and adding 100 ml of pellets every 3-6 months.

Kind of sounds like zeolites to me however this dissolves over time.

BTW, How is your doser working out for you? Anything to report, good or bad?

Will be interesting to see how the above works out. The zeo stones with liquid carbon are not ideal in my opinion. They work, but are tricky to get tuned with lots of opportunity for error. Safer for most not to run any stones.

Profilux doser works great. No complaints at all. I am upgrading the Profilux II controller to a III ($198) when it comes out in Oct. Profilux modular IC card build makes it easy to expand/upgrade..tho it's expensive if starting from scratch.

On my tank I think I finally figured it out - though my corals are still in the recovery stage lol. When I switched from Fauna Ultralith to full blown Brightwell NeoZeo saw added positive change going on. The Fauna reactor had way too strong a pump on it which led I believe to the issues I had with alk and stn/rtn. I have followed the BW NeoZeo .pdf to the letter and swapped out that strong pump for an adjustable low flow one and have not seen any issues. My alk maintains at 8.6 (Brightwell salt) and I am at very low nutrients.

With NeoZeo I am doing all the organics..restor/coralamino/Vita-C/Vita-M and all three zooplanktos to prevent starving symptoms..it works. I also dose all the named inorganics in the pdf. so all bases are covered now. Added 7 Bartlett Anthias a few weeks ago since I only had two fish...they like to eat so they should keep me from getting back into the coral starving issues. Other big positive was switching from Fauna balling light to Randy's two part. Anyway, I'll have to write this all up in my tank thread.

Are you doing well with NeoZeo?