Icecap 430 running t5's and pc's

Stu

I have an IceCap 430 that I am planning on using to light 2 t5's for my small frag tank inside the tank stand. I have a separate 13w power compact clip-on light for my fuge. I'd rather just hardwire the pc into the icecap so I have one less plug to deal with. Is there any way to wire both to the ballast? Also, is there a way to configure the ballast so the lights come on at different times (i.e.--the t5s are on during the day and the fuge light is on at night)?

I have an IceCap 430 that I am planning on using to light 2 t5's for my small frag tank inside the tank stand. I have a separate 13w power compact clip-on light for my fuge. I'd rather just hardwire the pc into the icecap so I have one less plug to deal with. Is there any way to wire both to the ballast? Also, is there a way to configure the ballast so the lights come on at different times (i.e.--the t5s are on during the day and the fuge light is on at night)?

IceCap's site specifically states that you can only use a max of two bulbs with a 430, regardless of wattage.

IceCap's site specifically states that you can only use a max of two bulbs with a 430, regardless of wattage.

The website says the 2-lamp max only applies to t-5s. The wiring diagrams they give have 4 pc's/vho's wired together, and I used 4 vho's with this ballast for about 2 years a while back. I imagine running 2 small t5's and a 13w pc wouldn't be a problem. I can use my 660, but don't think it's necessary for an application like this.

I have wired the PC and T5's together. Just use the wiring diagram for the 3 linear lamps and picture the PC as a T5 bulb bent in half and hook it up accordingly.

http://www.icecapinc.com/downloads/430wiringdiagram.pdf

I doubt you could easily wire the ballast to switch between the lamps individually. The switch would have to be on the load side of the ballast.

Give IceCap a call, they have always been very helpful. (609) 588-5338

I have wired the PC and T5's together. Just use the wiring diagram for the 3 linear lamps and picture the PC as a T5 bulb bent in half and hook it up accordingly.

http://www.icecapinc.com/downloads/430wiringdiagram.pdf

I doubt you could easily wire the ballast to switch between the lamps individually. The switch would have to be on the load side of the ballast.

Give IceCap a call, they have always been very helpful. (609) 588-5338

"Picture the PC as a t5 bulb bent in half and hook it up accordingly": That's funny; it never occurred to me to think about it like that. Great advice and makes sense. If only everyone explained things this well to the simple folk like myself.

I think you might be able to as along as you don't exceed the maximum lenght or wattage of the ballast, though it would be tricky and probably not a good idea