How to transport fish, from SC to VA

R.Davis

Hey guys, My name is Bob. I am currently about to head down to South Carolina to pick up a 180 gallon tank thats already been established with fish, live rock, live sand, ect. I will be using a air stone to keep air in the buckets (45 gallon buckets) To make sure the fish have air. I've been told that I should also switch 5 gallons of water every few hours to make sure that the fish are ok and have proper air. Has anyone transported fish for more then 5 hours? If so how did you do it? I dont want to risk killing the fish so any info would be great appreciated. Thanks for any help! My plans currently are to take my motor cycle trailor down to sc and load the tank in that. From there I have a few 45 gallon buckets I can use to transport water and fish and live rock and sand. I also like I said will be using a air stone for more air. Is there anything im missing?

thanks

Bob.

Hey guys, My name is Bob. I am currently about to head down to South Carolina to pick up a 180 gallon tank thats already been established with fish, live rock, live sand, ect. I will be using a air stone to keep air in the buckets (45 gallon buckets) To make sure the fish have air. I've been told that I should also switch 5 gallons of water every few hours to make sure that the fish are ok and have proper air. Has anyone transported fish for more then 5 hours? If so how did you do it? I dont want to risk killing the fish so any info would be great appreciated. Thanks for any help! My plans currently are to take my motor cycle trailor down to sc and load the tank in that. From there I have a few 45 gallon buckets I can use to transport water and fish and live rock and sand. I also like I said will be using a air stone for more air. Is there anything im missing?

thanks

Bob.

How many fish are you transporting? In my opinion it would be more effective to bag each fish with water and keep them in a large cooler, same for corals too. 5 hours is not very long considering fish are routinely shipped over the course of a day or two. Having fish's bucket exposed to the air when you drive is sure to rapidly drop the temperature (or raise) since buckets are not well insulated.

I wouldn't worry too much, 45 gallons is a lot of water for a 5 hour trip. The motion of the car on the road will keep the water sloshing around which helps with aeration. No need for water changes.

The biggest thing to worry about is your plan for arrival- have everything ready to start up the tank ahead of time, including some pre-mixed saltwater.

I wouldn't worry too much, 45 gallons is a lot of water for a 5 hour trip. The motion of the car on the road will keep the water sloshing around which helps with aeration. No need for water changes.

The biggest thing to worry about is your plan for arrival- have everything ready to start up the tank ahead of time, including some pre-mixed saltwater.

I agree with this completely. Due to multiple wrecks on I-95 it took me 6 hours to move from the Va Beach area to here and I have made this move twice. Once from here to there and now back. I stored all of the live rock in a large plastic trash can(s) and covered in water, then using multiple rubber-maid containers about half filled with water moved the live stock keeping corals and fish separate. This time of year you have to be more concerned with over heating than anything else.

Good Luck.

PS I have a couple of the large styrofoam shipping boxes if you decide to go that route.

I will be attempting to bring home 12 different kinds of Saltwater fish along with 3 shrimp, 1 sand sifting starfish, 1 boxer crab, 1 crocea clam and 1 brittle sea star. I was going to put them all in a 45 gal container with water from the 180 gal aquarium. I will be using a battery air stone and doing a 5 gal water change at least 2-3 times on the way home. I have a 7.5 to 8 hr drive and then at least a 2 hr setup time and home before putting the fish and all back into the same water that came from the aquarium. With this said, do you still feel putting all the fish etc in plastic bags would be a better way?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

How many fish are you transporting? In my opinion it would be more effective to bag each fish with water and keep them in a large cooler, same for corals too. 5 hours is not very long considering fish are routinely shipped over the course of a day or two. Having fish's bucket exposed to the air when you drive is sure to rapidly drop the temperature (or raise) since buckets are not well insulated.

IMO i think i would put them in seperate bags. They have less chance of getting injured, the water in the 45 gal container will be sloshing around a lot. They are in bags a lot longer than you are talking about when they get transported from their original locations. Just make sure you use the proper sized bag for the size of the fish. Just my opinion but that is what i would do.

Lynn

Thanks for the welcome,

I'm sure this Forums will come in handy and I hope one day I too can be of some help to someone. At this time though, I'm a beginner with salt water aquariums set up and fish etc. I have always wanted to have one sone now at the age of 57, I'm going to be giving it my best shot. I will be purchasing a 180 gal already set up saltwater aquarium complete. So now my worry is to go from my home in N. VA to SC to help take down and load everything in my enclose 7x12 trailer except for the fish, I will be putting them in a 45 gal tub with water from the 180 gal aquarium in the rear of my 2007 Tahoe to bring back home safely I hope.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Bob

welcome to WAMAS btw!!!

Want to wish you luck with your tank move! I will tell you I am somewhat of a beginner myself and this hobby is so rewarding and fun.....also frustrating at times, but that is where reading and research develops knowledge. I have made my fair share of mistakes...but today am so excited from what I have learned from fellow members and asking a million questions that I am slowly getting my 333g tank up and running.

Since the weather is so hot now, I would definitely suggest trying to maintain a consistant temperature for the livestock. My sister this past xmas brought up a 6 inch porky puffer, decorator crab, and some other various inverts up from Key West in my dad's RV to me. It was a 24 hour trip and they were all housed in a 5g bucket with an airstone. Everyone survived fine and are still thriving in my tanks.

Best of luck with the move and have a safe trip there and back.