Exumas of The Bahamas - May '09

OUsnakebyte

Well, one of the perks of teaching is the free diving (scuba, not "free diving..."). And, to be honest, I enjoyed the teaching aspect of the trip just as much as I enjoyed the diving itself (well, almost ;) ).

Of course, I took so many pictures - I wouldn't dare bore you with them all. Here are the ones you all might find interesting:

Red-tipped Sea Goddess - apparently, the ID book says it's an invasive. What isn't these days...

DSCF8930.jpg

Lettuce Sea Slug - saw tons of these

DSCF8947.jpg

Diploria sp. detail (labyrinthiformis, I think...)

DSCF8960.jpg

Azure vase sponge

DSCF9072.jpg

Sponge and M. cavernosa

DSCF9091.jpg

Sponge and M. cavernosa detail

DSCF9090.jpg

Meandrina meandrites - aka "conehead" - one of the strangest growth formations I've seen...

DSCF9105.jpg

More to follow...

When I was on this class trip back in 2006, I saw one lionfish at the Blue Hole, and it was promptly speared. Three years later, I saw at least one lionfish, if not multiple, on every dive... Here is one of many...

Lionfish 1

DSCF9268.jpg

Cleaning goby and M. cavernosa

DSCF9273.jpg

It's not all hunkey-dory down there... Siderastrea siderea afflicted with Black Band... :sad:

DSCF9295.jpg

I waved off the cyano, but I doubt it did any good. I needed a toothbrush and epoxy...

DSCF9297.jpg

Took a snorkel through the mangroves

DSCF9302.jpg

Back to a night dive; found a rough fileclam

DSCF9333.jpg

And a sleepy parrotfish (Queen adult?) in its mucous bubble

DSCF9338.jpg

There were more Pedersoni shrimp at this cleaning station than I have ever seen - at least 12-13. Caught one in the mouth of this tiger grouper

DSCF9431.jpg

It's good to see the big fish still around. Caribbean reef shark - the puppies of the sea...

DSCF9447.jpg

Chased this HUGE stone crab all over the reef trying to get a good photo

DSCF9480.jpg

Caught this pair hunting together...

DSCF9508.jpg

An encouraging, albeit small, patch of cervicornis. Saw PLENTY of rubble...

DSCF9515.jpg

Took forever to frame this fairy basslet against this fan. I finally gave up...

DSCF9540.jpg

TUNICATES!!! It never ceases to amaze students that these animals are chordates - same phylum as us...

DSCF9593.jpg

Found a nice lavender patch of this Porites sp. Usually I see it in the grayish phase.

DSCF9618.jpg

Just for good measure, another stinkin' lionfish. The surge almost took me into this one...

DSCF9630.jpg

Squat anemone shrimp, dancing...

DSCF9674.jpg

I'm not going to say it was the pride and joy of the week, but I was pretty dang proud of myself for spotting this decorator crab on the last dive. The little guy was about the size of my pinkie nail - note the mysid shrimp next to the anemone

DSCF9686.jpg

Cheers

Mike

Well, one of the perks of teaching is the free diving (scuba, not "free diving..."). And, to be honest, I enjoyed the teaching aspect of the trip just as much as I enjoyed the diving itself (well, almost ;) ).

Of course, I took so many pictures - I wouldn't dare bore you with them all. Here are the ones you all might find interesting:

more to follow...

These are fantastic. Very nice. Thank you for sharing them. I look forward to seeing more.

(edited)
These are fantastic. Very nice. Thank you for sharing them. I look forward to seeing more.

Well, that's all I have of the good stuff. The rest of the photos are just grid surveys - 1 meter x 1 meter squares of pvc we used to count coral vs algal coverage. I figure those would just bore everyone...

I won't leave you in suspense, there is much more macro algal coverage than coral coverage on these reefs. :blast: turf algae

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

Well, that's all I have of the good stuff. The rest of the photos are just grid surveys - 1 meter x 1 meter squares of pvc we used to count coral vs algal coverage. I figure those would just bore everyone...

I won't leave you in suspense, there is much more macro algal coverage than coral coverage on these reefs. :blast: turf algae

Mike

Oh, so the algae on my coral is almost identical to what lives in the ocean. Lucky me :wacko: