Nori VS Hair Algae

treesprite

Should I or should I not, keep giving the tang fresh nori every day if I want it to eat the hair algae in my tank? Should I skip some days?

Should I or should I not, keep giving the tang fresh nori every day if I want it to eat the hair algae in my tank? Should I skip some days?

I would skip a few days... my tangs all eat mysis, with occasional nori - and I find if I haven't given them any greens for a few days, they tend to go to town on anything 'green' in the tank.

bob

I give my Tangs nori every other day. I dont think giving it to them everyday is a bad thing. They will still eat at the other algae in the tank.

Ok, thanks for the info.

IME some of it has to do with the kind of tangs you have. Clown tangs powder browns and other tangs with the rabbit fish like body and rasping mouths do a bang up job on it as to zebrasoma types like purples and yellows. But tangs like blue hippos don't do much with it. I have two 100 gallon sumps side by side on the same system. The one with the blue tang looks like a barbershop trash can. The one with the clown tang is bare.

Competition can also encourage them to eat it more. Most of them will not bother with it once it gets more than a quarter inch long.

IME some of it has to do with the kind of tangs you have. Clown tangs powder browns and other tangs with the rabbit fish like body and rasping mouths do a bang up job on it as to zebrasoma types like purples and yellows. But tangs like blue hippos don't do much with it. I have two 100 gallon sumps side by side on the same system. The one with the blue tang looks like a barbershop trash can. The one with the clown tang is bare.

Competition can also encourage them to eat it more. Most of them will not bother with it once it gets more than a quarter inch long.

The first day I skipped the nori he started picking at the rocks. He still kept circling around the nori clip though, and trying to pick non-existent nori from it. Funny fish.