Shrinking mushrooms

Jan

All of the mushrooms I had at the top of my tank have shrunk at an alarming rate. I had stock compact lighting and switched to T5's about 4 days ago. Could it be the lights? Are they too strong? I leave the new lights on only 6-7 hours. I've moved all of the mushrooms to the bottom of the tank. Do you think they'll get bigger again?

Jan,

Mushrooms expand to receive more light under lower lighting conditions, so their contraction is probably in part to significantly more intense light from your T5s. Did you do anything to manage the change (use screens, slowly ramp up the photo period, etc.)? It could also be they are going through the "shock" of the sudden change in lighting. I think you did the right thing by moving them lower. I'd keep an eye on them, but they should recover.

Regards,

Jon

Jan,

I had about 5 green hairy mushrooms on a rock and I only had about 108 watts on the tank. I bought a new Current USA PowerCompact lighting system and now I have 206 watts. I burnt 3 of 5 of my mushrooms in the tank. I had to move the mushrooms to the bottom of the tank and now they are doing fine. I am a noob with a saltwater tank as well. I just setup my tank about 4 - 5 months ago.

Jason

post-2631974-1241097301_thumb.jpg

Jan,

I had about 5 green hairy mushrooms on a rock and I only had about 108 watts on the tank. I bought a new Current USA PowerCompact lighting system and now I have 206 watts. I burnt 3 of 5 of my mushrooms in the tank. I had to move the mushrooms to the bottom of the tank and now they are doing fine. I am a noob with a saltwater tank as well. I just setup my tank about 4 - 5 months ago.

Jason

I moved all that I could to the bottom under shade. I had 3 bright red mushrooms 1 disintegrated the other two went from the size of a dime to the size of a grain of barley. 1 purple one looked like it exploded. Half of it shrivled and it's guts turned into jelly. SMelled bad. I'm really upset about it. I really wanted to see those shrooms get big. They were an amazing bright red. The others got small, but they're hanging in there.

All of the mushrooms I had at the top of my tank have shrunk at an alarming rate. I had stock compact lighting and switched to T5's about 4 days ago. Could it be the lights? Are they too strong? I leave the new lights on only 6-7 hours. I've moved all of the mushrooms to the bottom of the tank. Do you think they'll get bigger again?

Oh man, another shroom bursts. My red spotted shroom just split and exploded. I'm laughing and crying at the same time. It seems that the red ones just don't like these lights. I've been leaving them on 2 hours off 3-4 hours for the last two days. It must be confusing the heck out of everything but it's been working with everything else, up until today that is,with the red spotted one. Everyon appears to be opening up and plumping up beautifully. I can't even try to grow them like frags because the center just pops out. Poor shrooms.