what does Kalk reactors and Cal reactors do..??

They both are methods to keep adding calcium and other minerals that the corals like SPS and LPS take up. They however do it in diferent ways.

In a nutshell:

Kalk - You mix a powder solution and add it to the tank over time. The reason being it that Kalk will spike your PH

Ca Reactor - It disolves calcium carbonate(?) using CO2 gas. Because of the CO2, it usually lowers your PH in your tank.

You should use a solution if you find that your tank can not keep Ca levels above 400's. Of course there's other factors that

keep the Ca low (low Mg levels) but that's pretty much the nutshell explanation.

They both are methods to keep adding calcium and other minerals that the corals like SPS and LPS take up. They however do it in diferent ways.

In a nutshell:

Kalk - You mix a powder solution and add it to the tank over time. The reason being it that Kalk will spike your PH

Ca Reactor - It disolves calcium carbonate(?) using CO2 gas. Because of the CO2, it usually lowers your PH in your tank.

You should use a solution if you find that your tank can not keep Ca levels above 400's. Of course there's other factors that

keep the Ca low (low Mg levels) but that's pretty much the nutshell explanation.

Great answer!......so if im understanding this correctly, Kalk, and Cla reactor would replace a 2 part dosing system like B-ionic..?

(edited)

All three basically attempt the same thing. They all have some +/- about them so choose what works for you.

For instance, when I first started, I went the 2 part dosing. I got tired of doing it every day. So I went with Kalk. It was fine for awhile

until i got tired of the high spikes of PH every time I added new powder because over time, the tank will settle down. My tank also got to the

point where I had to refill every 2-3 weeks vs a month or so. So now I'm on the Ca Reactor method which the ultimate goal is set and forget.

The setting part is hardest of the 3 :)

That said, there are some who do 2 methods (Kalk + Ca) to maintain optimal conditions.

Edited by DJBoy98

you can use just kalk, just two part or just a calcium reactor..... or a combination of the three... I use a kalk reactor for all top off water and adjust with two part... eventually I will probably replace two part with a calcium reactor...

Great answer!......so if im understanding this correctly, Kalk, and Cla reactor would replace a 2 part dosing system like B-ionic..?

Yes, it replaces a daily 2-part regimen. Most start with just a kalk reactor. This adds alk and ca to your tank and helps maintain a high pH. You run your topoff water through the kalk reactor (stirrer). At a point, you won't be able to cause enough evaporation to dose enough kalk to keep up with your alk and ca uptake (use by the corals). That's typically when you would add a ca reactor. A ca reactor is a balanced dosing system for alk and ca and you run tank water through the reaction chamber where CO2 dissolves the CaCO3 (Calcium Carbonate) media and it is added to the water and then returned to the tank. Using these automated systems helps keep your levels as stable as possible because they (ideally) add Ca and Alk at the same rate that it's used by the corals.

The other option is to go with automated 2-part dosing. You can get peristalic pumps and a controller (litermeter, I believe is one of the more sophisticated units) and connect that to your jugs of alk, ca and mg to dose continuously throughout the day. Same net effect of dosing at the same rate the corals are using.

I use kalk with a dosing pump and find that it is probably the cheapest way to go, plus you will get an increase in pH if you have high CO2 levels in your home.

For more information on using kalk, here are some articles by Randy Holmes-Farley that may help:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

The Self Purification of Limewater (Kalkwasser)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2003/chem.htm

Magnesium and Strontium in Limewater

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2003/chem.htm

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

I use kalk reactor and Ca reactor.

I do not find a Ca reactor to be balanced nor do I find them to be "set and forget".

kalk reactor should filled at least 1x a week so it's never "loaded" and stays fresh.

Ca reactor needs to be watched and adjusted frequently as it's best to match your usage.

If you can "set and forget", your stuff is not growing well or you would need to increase the drip rate as it consumption increases.

not craking on the person that said set and forget statement but it is a commonally passed on phrase.

Maybe I losely phrased "Set and Forget" but it's fair easier to deal with in terms of maintance than Kalk. I do adjust the effluent to get the optimal condition but it's better than opening the reactor every week and dumping the kalk. Here, I just turn the valve. The PH is controled by my AC3.

I only run CA and so far, everything is fine and within parameters. So far I spend more time worrying about my fishes' health than my corals.

Maybe I losely phrased "Set and Forget" but it's fair easier to deal with in terms of maintance than Kalk. I do adjust the effluent to get the optimal condition but it's better than opening the reactor every week and dumping the kalk. Here, I just turn the valve. The PH is controled by my AC3.

I only run CA and so far, everything is fine and within parameters. So far I spend more time worrying about my fishes' health than my corals.

Running only a CA reactor with only weekly adjustments is definitely doable once it's tuned. If you're lucky enough to be able to keep your pH high enough, then good for you.

So far so good. My runs from 7.8 to 8.2. Once I have my fuge up full time, I should be able to keep it 7.9 or so at night.