Frags from workshop

Update on some of the frags that I got at the workshop:

The zoos that I got are doing fine, they are all opening and appear to be just dandy.

The colt frag that I got was rubber banded to the base rock and the rubber band was cutting through the tissue.  I have re-banded and it appears to be doing better.  It too is opening and looking good.

My problem child is the green sinularia (I think it is a sinularia) the rubber band cut through the stalk where it was attached and all of my subsequent attempts have not been tight enough to hold it without cutting it and it has gotten blown around the tank several times.  I am thinking I might have to go with some netting to hold it down for the time being.

Thats all for the updates.

Thanks for the startup help.  I can't wait til I get to bring these guys back in to help the next guy get started!

BB

Try placing a few small rocks in the substrate and bury the sinularia bottom on the rocks about 1". In a few weeks it should attach to one of the rocks, then you can place it wherever.

I had been battling with the same issues. Not a day passes

by without me getting my hands in the tank.

I am planning on the epoxy stuff and kind of encasing the

coral frag.

-krish

Thanks for the tips, fortunately/unfortunately, my problem has been solved.  On one of its trips blowing around the tank the Sinularia managed to fall into a hole in the rockwork.  I tried, unsuccessfully to get it out of there, however it is opening up and I can barely see it from the front and appears to be happy there.  So, that will be its home.  Everything else is doing very well.  

BB

Edit to my last post, I was actually able to grab the coral tonight and turned it over because the base was pointing up, the coral seemed to be happy and I can see where new arms have budded out.

Here is a question.  I got two types of soft coral that I don't know what they are.  One looks like miniature palm trees and is a light brown with a round tube and feather/palm like branches when it is open.  The second was described as a Borneman coral and that it grew like a weed.  I can attest to the weed part.  It has already spread colonies to the rocks adjacent to the frag that I got.  

If anyone knows the scientific and/or common names for these two I would be much obliged.

BB

The borneman coral is a lithophyton.  Closely related to nepthea. It will grow about 12 inches tall and maybe 6" across.  If you want to prevent it from randomly dropping branches, the you need to deliberately frag it.  Other one might be a colt coral?

Guest Leishman

I posted pics of the frags I picked up at the 10/18 meeting on my webshots page.  Click the little green world at the bottom of this post to see them.  

Thanks for the frags Craig.

• 1 month later...

All of the frags that I got from the workshop are doing great.  The small, single stalk of Colt coral has branched out into four stalks, the sinularia is going great, and the zoanthids are growing like mad.

Just wanted to let everyone know, and to say thanks again!

BB

• 2 weeks later...

There is a whole lot to be said about captive propagation!

Plus you get to feel warm and fuzzy that you are doing the right thing for the reefs!