Percs laid their first batch of eggs

Gatortailale

My perc pair laid their first batch of eggs yesterday.  I came home from TRT and was acclimating my new clam and shrimp when I saw the male fanning the eggs.

My female also had a nasty wound on her side.  My guess she was defending them and one of my other fish hammered her a good one.

They host in a anchor bubble coral in the DSB and also in a favia brain / candy-cane coral head up on the rocks.

Looked like they ate the eggs by the end of the day.

Pretty cool to see those bright orange spots isn't it?

Couple of things- them eating the first batch is not that unusual.  Make sure they are getting lots of food though.  Wound on the side may have come from the aggressive behavior that they clean the spawn turf or during courting (they get pretty nutty).  I've seen mine with all sorts of dingers on their heads from cleaning off corraline algae.  By the 3rd batch or so, it will become quite regular.

With about 15 fish in the 125, including a sixline, I don't think I will have much of a chance to catch any, but I'm thinking of putting a little eclipse 6 on my canopy plumbed to the main system for refugium and if lucky, some babies.

Would have to pick up the book and learn how.  Also pay attention at the spring meeting and learn the tricks.  I really want to get my black percs in my 29 to deveop into a pair and raise them.  Now that would rock.

Thanks for the kind words.  

Michael,

now that I think about it, I remember you saying they will eat the first batch when you came over to see tank.